Tripel with Wyeast 3787 fermenting VERY slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Tripel on 9/26, the OG was 1.082. I used a 650 mL starter with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High-Gravity yeast. The yeast had been in my fridge a few weeks, and the pack had swelled somewhat before I made the starter. The fermentation got off to a very slow start, even though the temp was about 73 degrees. After 6 days of very slow fermentation with minimal krauzen, I pitched a second (non starter) swollen pack of 3787 high gravity. I've had 3 inches of dense krauzen on top ever since 10/1, it's now 10 days later and still have heavy krauzen. I get a bubble in the airlock every 20 seconds or so. This is the slowest I've ever had a beer ferment, the temp is 74 degrees and I have not taken a gravity reading since the initial pitch. The wort was heavily airated right before the initial pitch. Should I be concerned about this very slow pace?

Inadequate seal around your airlock?? Since you've had kraussen and some airlock activity the entire time, I would think that everything is A-OK.

3787 likes high temps. If you check the gravity and it is still too high, try raising it to the upper 70s-low 80s and it will probably kick right back up. That yeast shines at those temps.

Take a hydrometer reading, and don't freak out, in any case. Triples are high gravity beers and as nutrients dwindle and alcohol %age increases, it becomes a really toxic environment for the yeast. They'll tend to slow down as the weaker cells drop out and they hack through those last few points of gravity. A 650ml starter was probably too small, too.

I just made a Tripel on Friday and I am seeing similar results. Pitched a 2000mL starter with Wyeast 3787 and it's been a slow start. I finally have Krausen and airlock activity after shaking the carboys several times to mix everything up. Temp is about 70, so it may be too low. I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets going now that it has taken hold.

Back