Filling co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
I just got into kegging and the SWMBO bought me a kit from kegconnection which included a 5 lb tank. I found a bigger tank on craigslist guessing 20 lb for $35. 1.) Is there a way to fill the smaller tank from the bigger or is that better left to the professionals. 2.) Can i sand and polish/paint the tank? Or will that make it out of regulations and unfillable?

pic of tank
p1060174o.jpg

PS- The regulations I would worry about is the fact that it is likely a cyclinder nicked from Coke.

Where I'm at it is cheaper to just exchange the tanks for full ones. If you are close to a gas place that does exchanges that is usually the best way, I have a 20 as my main tank and keep the 5 for portable use or to cover when the 20 is empty. That way you know your tank is always current on inspections. I believe Big K did it himself to avoid the 2hr drive to get refills..... Seems for your situation get the 20 and if it doesn't fit just mount it to the side of your keggerator. Use the 5 as a back up. a 20# tank will last a while I have a 4 tapper and usually get 10 months to a year out of the 20# tank

As long as a tank passed a periodic hydro test, it's good, and cleaning the outside won't cause any damage.

sand and paint away. i have one of each, and for the 15 bucks a year I'd save (after I spent that on the adapters) I just have em filled. me no like BOOM!

(and transferring liquid co2, and inverting cylinders, and all the other junk, enhhhhh, nope.)

As long as a tank passed a periodic hydro test, it's good, and cleaning the outside won't cause any damage.

Yeah i have no idea the last time this thing was hydro tested. Hopefully that's not to expensive. Seems like my beer hobby requires two full time jobs to just keep it going. I just got into kegging and every time i stare at the fridge i want to drill holes and put in taps.

sand and paint away. i have one of each, and for the 15 bucks a year I'd save (after I spent that on the adapters) I just have em filled. me no like BOOM!

(and transferring liquid co2, and inverting cylinders, and all the other junk, enhhhhh, nope.)

Sounds like its better left to the pros. i was searching the internet for filling tank info and equipment and came across this article about a scuba tank explosion. :eek:

http://biobug.org/scuba/scubatank/

I remember reading he (BigKahuna)had to drive like 2 hrs to fill his tank. Definitely thought to myself, how is possible to drive 2hrs in Hawaii?? Makes more sense now.

Back