Herb Ball + Pellets + Keg = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
So I had to keg a beer out of necessity tonight before I got the chance to dry hop it. I do have an herb ball, but do most people use pellets in those? I know pellets can really make a mess. I'd hate to drink a whole keg with floaters in it.

:mug:

Thats what I did with my last IPA. I used one of the bigger round tea balls they sell at Bed Bath & Beyond. Aside from the chlorophenols the beer turned out great.

I actually learned about the dental floss trick after the fact. I boiled a pipe cleaner to sanitize it. Then I used the pipe cleaner to attach the tea ball to the liquid dip tube. Ghetto, but it worked.

Well, I got some really thin yarn and wound it around one of the post while I situated the lid. Of course it unwound itself ... I almost caught it.

almost.

Well, I got some really thin yarn and wound it around one of the post while I situated the lid. Of course it unwound itself ... I almost caught it.

almost.

Yikes, don't use yarn! Unless they make waterproof yarn nowadays.
The reason for dental floss is that it's wax coated and very strong, i always double mine up, and it works great. Zero off flavors.

I have used an all stainless ring clamp to secure the herb/tea ball to the pressure relief valve nub on the underside of the lid. worked great. the 1 oz of pellets did swell up pretty fat, so I would not use more than that, but I didn't notice any sediment escaping.

Also, the herb ball chain is not too long, so the ball will only be submerged in a full 5 gallons. I suspect that after a few pints it will be hanging above the beer. Of course, if you cold crash or carb for 1-2 weeks prior to drinking, that's perfect, since you won't get any grassy notes from overextending the dry hop contact time.

Back