Bottling Tomorrow, Any Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheJadedDog said:
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make the bottling process run smoothly as I'll be doing it for the first time tomorrow.

Use your dishwasher liberally. Not only as a drying rack, but as a platform on which to fill your bottles. That way you don't spill on the floor and you get to sit down.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to put in your priming sugar BEFORE you transfer your beer to the BB.

Don't forget the priming sugar. I put it in the bottling bucket first and then rack on top of it.

If you have a dishwasher use the top rack to drain the bottles after sanitizing and use the door for filling them up.

If you are using a bottling wand you cannot put the wand in a bottle while you do something else or it will begin to fill. I did this and when I came back it was overflowing.

Blender said:
Don't forget the priming sugar. I put it in the bottling bucket first and then rack on top of it.

If you have a dishwasher use the top rack to drain the bottles after sanitizing and use the door for filling them up.

Echo echo echo echo

I would suggest having a plan and setting up everything in order before you start.
Make sure you get your sanitizing done, then have your bottles lined up or on your bottling tree and ready to go. Figure out a system. Fill six then cap them, or fill twelve then cap them and fill the others etc. If you have help then one can fill and the other cap. Whatever, just have a plan and a system. Learn from this time and use your knowledge next time. I lay towels on the floor especially under where I will be filling. Make sure you boil your priming sugar with enough time for it to cool before you get to siphoning. Pour it in gently. Have paper towels handy. I bought a 5 gal bucket at Home Depot to fill with sanitizer solution so I can sanitize a bunch of bottles at once. The bottling tree helps for air drying/draining.

Take your time, map it out don't drink too much brew until your almost done or save it until finished.

And relax!:mug:

I just did my first batch and have not gotten to the bottling, but I have been giving it alot of thought. I have a plastic storage tray that is normally used to keep wrapping paper in. I plan to line up the bottles in there, on the counter, and have the BB on an elevated stand above it. That way, I can sit on a bar stool, have access to the sink (for any spill cleanups) and SWMBO is going to man the capper on the other side of the counter. I'm hoping it works smoothly or else, this may be the shortest hobby career I ever have.

Yeah, SWMBO wants to be the capper, anything to keep her happy so I can continue to brew.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately for me I don't have a dishwasher (well, I am the dishwasher) so I was planning on lining the bottles up on paper towels on the counter for easy access and then handing them off for capping.

Another question is whether I can sanitize my caps or should I really be boiling them?

I sanitize my caps, was told by my LHBS not to boil them.

As far as bottling goes, I rack to the bottling bucket then immediately clean the fermentor and fill with approx. two gallons of sanitizer. Before I fill my bottle from the bottling bucket, I pour a few ounces from the now sanitized fermentor and swish around then pour it out, now the bottle is sanitized inside (I use one step).

My first brew ever was ruined due to sanitation issues and I haven't had a problem since I started this method.:rockin:

I fill my bottling bucket with Iodaphor and water to sanitize it, then dip my bottles in and fill them to the top then set them to the side. As I start to run low on sanitizer, I dump the stuff in the bottles back into the bucket (always make sure to rinse your bottles out prior to sanitizing them).

By the way, the Baby Bottle section of Target has some wonderful bottle cleaning brushes.

We have Jet Dry built into our dishwasher door. Can I sanitze bottles in there or will that stuff screw it up?

Just wanted to say the dishwasher method rocks! Keeps the missus happy and I get to sit down while I bottle. Thanks

The dishwasher method is the ONLY way to go. Just try spilling a bottle or two of your new beer on the kitchen floor when Mama is helping cap and you'll know what I mean! Be careful not to touch the inside of the caps when pulling them out of the hot water pan. I knew a guy that used latex doctor's gloves when bottling, but I think that's a bit of overkill. Then again, I don't think you can be too sanitary after putting so much effort into to process... IMHO.

Blender said:
If you are using a bottling wand you cannot put the wand in a bottle while you do something else or it will begin to fill. I did this and when I came back it was overflowing.

This depends on your bottling wand. My first one, the valve was gravity operated, and this was true. I clogged that one hopelessly trying to get the last little bit out of my batch and sucking up trub. The one I replaced it with has a spring loaded valve. This requires you to actually press down to make it flow. It stops the instant you leave go. I find the spring loaded wand to be much better. The gravity valve always dripped if you weren't holding the wand vertically.

Back