20 mins into my 115th Hopdream IIPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said in post #74 I was going to brew this one up doing all grain, and I planned to do it that weekend but it has been delayed until this weekend. I made a 1230 mL starter yesterday with two packs of wy 1272, using a stir plate, and plan to let that work at 68-70 degrees for 3 days.

I think I asked earlier if those of you that had trouble with this one had made a starter for it? I didn't see any replies.

Let me know how it turns out boater. I'll be brewing mine up tomorrow morning, and looking forward to the challenge. How did you transfer yours to primary?

There was a boatload of hops at the bottom. I racked it using my siphon but it got clogged several times. I think I'll look into one of those hop filters for the brewpot.

Good luck!
www.beershirtz.com

Well I just finished mine up and for the most part t went well, but I over estimated water loss and absorption and ended up with a starting gravity of 1.069 which is somewhat disappointing. I also feel my low gravity is due to my MLT's dead space.

I ended up pouring mine through a strainer, and still ended up with a great deal of hops in the primary. It almost takes up a gallon worth of space. I'll try this one again next month but I need to decrease my water amounts to boost the starting gravity.

Here's another update almost a month post brew.

Today was bottle day for me, but over the past few weeks I've learned that my starting gravity was not that far off. Apparently I did a poor job of mixing the late corn sugar addition which lowered my estimated gravity. Individuals that have brewed this one up felt that it was more like DFH's 90 Min IPA, but after tasting a non carbed version of it, it seems to match SN's Torpedo taste and nose IMO. Either or thus far it's a great brew even without the carb, and feel it should be ready to go in a couple of weeks. No aging on this one. I'll be back in two weeks to update.

Mine has been kegged and carbonated and surprisingly, tastes like 90 Min IPA. Seems very malty for all the Hops I added.

put mine into secondary over the past weekend. lots of trub on bottom, but still have almost 5 gal. It will be hard to let it six for the 4 weeks NB recommends, but I have been able to do it before. I did the AHS Pliny clone, using AG method and it was awesome even though I missed the OG and FG by a fair amount.

Cheers,

Sheldon

Alright so here I am with another update. I bottled this batch on the 23rd of October, and here I am 3 weeks later to tell you this beer is simply awesome. Initially I said it was like SN Torpedo, but the samples I had were straight from primary. Three weeks later I feel this beer turned out very similar to Bell's Hopslam in terms of yeast contribution. I used Wyeast American Ale II with fermentation temps set at a constant 60 degrees ambiant and the citrus flavor is beyond awesome. I want to also mention I did this same batch again but I had the fermentation temps higher to see how much the yeast would change the complexity of this beer. I know quite a few people had carb issues which I feel was due to improper pitching rates, but I went with a .9 oz of cane sugar to gallon ratio for priming and it turned out perfect. It did need three weeks to get to this point. i tried one at 1 week just for the hell of it, and it was not ready.

Any updates on this kit? I just ordered one from NB and plan on starting it this coming weekend and would appreciate any "further" tips. Looking at the previous 8 pages, I think I am also going to be building a "hop hanger" for the boil. Anyone use this device with a pound of hops yet?

wiskey,

I brewed this batch twice. The first one turned out to be one of my best batches, and the second turned out to be one of my worst.

Further tips:

-If doing all grain, take into consideration your efficiency, as you may end up well over the intended starting gravity.
-Be careful with hop additions and boil over after their addition.
-Use Fermcap to help prevent boil overs.
-Set up camp next to the boil because the continuous hop additions don't allow for much free time.
-Make sure to use a blow off tube, because if you go with standard air lock, you can expect a huge mess.

As a side note, I chose to go with Wyeast American Ale II #1272 and fermented at lower temps to get the citrus flavor on my first batch and the grapefruit/citrus complemented the hops perfect IMO. It was kind of close(I wish) to Bell's Hopslam.

Thanks for the tips boot! I bought the extract kit due to me being lazy, but I plan on keeping a close eye on the boil regardless. When you say you fermented at the lower end of the temp, what was is consistently at? I also went with the Wyeast 1056 rather than changing the recipe, just to get a baseline.

I had the ambient temp of my fridge set between 58-60 and the temp on the carboy was around 61-63 degrees. I had done a few batches with 1056 and I wanted to give 1272 a try to see if there was a difference, and for me, it was a great match for this beer.

I brewed this about 3 months ago (extract version). I followed the recipe exactly. Only difference was I repitched with T-58 at bottling. My beer was fully carbed at the 2 week mark. Let me tell you guys this kit is pricey, but it is my best brew yet! It's really hard for me not to drink it all in one sitting. It's got high ABU's, but just like DFH's 90 min it's got a strong malt backbone that balances it out. It's got a strong mango flavor with floral notes in it. If you like Port Brewery's Mongo IIPA and Firestone Double Jack, then you will LOVE this beer!

It's pretty easy too. I directly pitched the S-05 into it without a starter and fermented between 68-70°F. No hassles!

I'm definitely brewing this one again after the Nugget Nectar and Pliny clones I have lined up. :D

Have made this twice and all time favorite of family & friends. Super flavor and unbelievable balance for having so much hops. No carbonation issues, as I kegged it and hit the CO2 :ban:

Has anyone figured out really what is in the HopBurst blend. I've seen lots of guesses - but no definitive answer.

Best guess so far is: 3oz each of Cascade, Crystal, Goldings - E.K. and Warrior

Back