Help w/ utilization question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPooley4

Reaction score
Brewed my first all grain lager today. Everything went really well for the most part. However, while I was chilling the wort I noticed that the wort looked larger than it was when I began chilling. Come to find out that the wort chiller was leaking into the wort (loose clamp). I didn't notice until I had the wort down to about 80 degrees. Ended up throwing it back on the burner and boiled it for an additional 20 minutes to get the volume back down to about 5 gallons.

I'm concerned that my IBU's are now going to be out of whack from the additional boil time. I assume that I need to adjust the utilization for each addition for the extra boil time. Is this true? If so, will I get the same utilization as I would have if boiled straight through for the additional 20 minutes or since I cooled first and then brought it back up to a boil about 45 minutes later will I lose some of that utilization (that's what I'm hoping for).

Here's some numbers as they should have been:

OG - 1.045
1oz Yakima Goldings at 60 mins (4.2%)
1oz Yakima Goldings at 30 mins (4.2%)
.5 oz Mt Hood at 15 mins (5.2)

IBU's should have been in the 25 or 26 range, but with the additional boil time I'm concerned I'm going to be in the high 30's (38 or so). Anyone ever run into this and have an answer by chance.

Thanks,

cp

When I run that original recipe (making up the malt to get 1.046) in beersmith, I get 28.7 IBU.

When I add 10 minutes to all the boil times, I get 34.4 IBU. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

When I run that original recipe (making up the malt to get 1.046) in beersmith, I get 28.7 IBU.

When I add 10 minutes to all the boil times, I get 34.4 IBU. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the response. May I ask why you chose to add an extra 10 minutes rather than the full 20 of the extra boil? Are you assuming I lost some utilization because of the cool down?

Thanks for the response. May I ask why you chose to add an extra 10 minutes rather than the full 20 of the extra boil? Are you assuming I lost some utilization because of the cool down?

If it's not boiling, you're not extracting any bittering compounds.

The only difference I can see between what you have and what you intended is that your late additions, the Mt Hood at 15 minutes, became a bittering addition instead of a flavoring addition because of the extended boil time.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the length of the boil- 45 minutes the first time, and 20 this time? I guess you're saying that the wort was cooling, and wasn't boiling for the 45 minutes, but I wasn't very clear on that.

This wouldn't work well in a beer where the aroma and flavor hops were crucial, but in this beer it seems like it will be just fine. I wouldn't think there will be much of a difference in the final beer.

If it's not boiling, you're not extracting any bittering compounds.

The only difference I can see between what you have and what you intended is that your late additions, the Mt Hood at 15 minutes, became a bittering addition instead of a flavoring addition because of the extended boil time.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the length of the boil- 45 minutes the first time, and 20 this time? I guess you're saying that the wort was cooling, and wasn't boiling for the 45 minutes, but I wasn't very clear on that.

This wouldn't work well in a beer where the aroma and flavor hops were crucial, but in this beer it seems like it will be just fine. I wouldn't think there will be much of a difference in the final beer.

The initial planned boil was 60 minutes with hop additions at 60, 30, and 15. I ended up boiling again after the problem with the wort chiller for an additional 20 minutes (it was about 45 minutes in between the end of the initial 60 minute boil and the start of the additional 20 minutes). So my hop additions ended up being 80, 50, and 35 instead.

Does that change your answer at all?

Thanks,

cp

The initial planned boil was 60 minutes with hop additions at 60, 30, and 15. I ended up boiling again after the problem with the wort chiller for an additional 20 minutes (it was about 45 minutes in between the end of the initial 60 minute boil and the start of the additional 20 minutes). So my hop additions ended up being 80, 50, and 35 instead.

Does that change your answer at all?

Thanks,

cp

No. You "lost" the flavor addition, and gained a little in the way of IBUs. This beer isn't really big on hops flavor anyway, so I don't think it'll be a very different beer, except for lacking that flavor addition.

No. You "lost" the flavor addition, and gained a little in the way of IBUs. This beer isn't really big on hops flavor anyway, so I don't think it'll be a very different beer, except for lacking that flavor addition.

Thanks Yooper, really appreciate the quick responses. I was planning on dry hopping a bit with some centennial so I'm not going to worry too much about the lost flavor.

Take care,

cp

Back