Help Using Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayanpilot

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm brewing a belgian tripel and I want to add some coriander to the mix. I have a pack of coriander from my LHBS, and I'm wondering what my options are for using it. Where in the boil do I add it, do I need to strain it out later, does it need to be crushed or processed in any way? Note that I'm adding sweet orange peel as well.

Thanks in advance.

*belgian strong pale ale

But that's beside the point. I'd like to know my options for properly using coriander.

Thanks,

you put it in a ziplock bag - rull it with a rolling pin a bit to crush it up some, then you toss it in the wort at the last minute

and you strain it out when you're done or you don't - doesn't make much difference

Coriander is delicious in beer. RDWHAHB it doesn't matter if the beer isn't to style perfectly. Coriander does things to a beer other than just flavor. It is and antioxidant and many brewers report that it adds a tremendous amount of shelf stability to a beer. As a flavoring agent in adds a subtle spice to the aroma and a unique citrus profile to the flavor, similar to lemon grass or lemon balm, and a bit like bitter orange.

-I find for antioxidant properties 3 - 5 grams is beneficial without adding too much to the flavor. In this case it can go in at 5 min remaining.
-For flavor but little aroma add it @ 5 min remaining.
-For both flavor and aroma add it between 3 min and flame out.
-For a flavor additive 7 grams (1/4 oz) is a good subtle what-is-that-in-my-beer flavor.
-14 - 21 grams (1/2 - 3/4 oz) is about the target amount for noticeable coriander characteristics.
-21 - 28 grams (3/4 - 1 oz) will make a beer that is definantly meant to taste like coriander.

I just did a saison with 18 grams. It is beautiful.

Good Luck.

Where in the boil do I add it, do I need to strain it out later, does it need to be crushed or processed in any way?

Add not later than 5 min before end of the boil

About crushing I heard 2 options from respectable brewers:
1. mill to dust
2. gently crush
Pick whatever suits you.

If you can find, buy indian coriander, it's bigger, darker, tastes less "vegetal" more "peppery"

And most important thing: if one who drinks your beer can name the the seasoning you used, that means you used too much.

As for indian coriander vs. grocery coriander, I think the primary difference is age. Try the fresh herbs and spices in the produce area. Or better try the local herb shack or farmers market. This stuff is usually loads better than the super grocer stuff, and load cheaper than the brew store stuff.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

I'm brewing it tomorrow morning (saturday), I think I'm going to go with the 1/4 oz what-is-that-taste-in-my-beer amount, crushed with 5 mins left in the boil.

Back