Oops! - Any Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
I racked too early. I miss-read the hydrometer, thinking I was at 1.017 about what I expected from my starting gravity of 1.072 - and the fermentation had really slowed so I was happy. So I racked into the secondary, and noticed I was getting a bubble once a minute - ready to leave it for another week or too to finish off.

As I went to clean my primary ready for a new batch, I noticed my hydrometer still sitting in the measurement jar - I had miss-read it - it was actually 1.027. I tasted it, and it's a too sweet. Even though I've got close to 6%, I’m hoping to use up a bit more sugar.

I was thinking of pitching another Wyeast - perhaps making a small starter, getting it going, then add it - but thought I'd check the forum for ideas. It might go another 10 points if I leave it, but it looks to be running pretty slow. I could leave it a few days and test it, but if I'm going to pitch some more yeast, is it better to do it sooner rather than later - and is there any downside doing it if I don't need to?
Any suggestions (other than don't worry - have a homebrew :drunk:- I’m not worried).

I'd say leave it for a few more days in secondary and take another hydro reading. No need to waste another $7 pack of yeast. It should still have enough active yeast in it to do the job. When it gets down to desired grav. You could re-rack it to a tertiary if you want.

How long did it ferment in the primary?

:tank:

You should try leaving it on primary for at least two weeks even if it is done. Let the yeasties clean up after themselves. :)

:tank:

You're most of the way through the ferment, so your main yeast has added whatever it will. Toss in a packet of nottingham to finish it.

Latest posts

Back