Stone Old Guardian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Anyone tried this year's Old Guardian yet? I picked up a bottle and I'm waiting to crack it open. Then I got to thinking (very dangerous) and bought a second bottle to cellar till next year. I also have three bottles each of this year's Anchor Old Foghorn and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot that are also going to get put away for at least a year, which made the wheels turn more. Should I pick up a couple more bottles while they're still on the shelves for cellaring longer?

Nobody tried it? Well it's off the shelves now so you're out of luck, but their Russian Imperial Stout is in. I'll try the barleywine soon and give everyone a review.

I grabbed a couple of bottles of Old Guardian this year, drank a few more too. I think they release more in the late summer. Do you store yours in the fridge? I have last year's Vertical Epic and Old Guardian I wanted to keep for a year or so, not sure how they are supposed to be properly kept.

Stone is releasing a special StoneWall Ale that is supposed to be the strongest beer they have ever made. It is only available to charity donors though.

I tried one last weekend. It was my first barleywine so Im not sure exactly what I was going to expect. The flavor and color were really nice, but I 'll admit, for a beer, it was just too strong for me. But being open to new things I thought I would give it a shot.

A little OT,

I did grab one of Stone's Ruination IPAs at the same time. Now that was a damn good beer!!

if you have the means, try picking up a Bigfoot barleywine from Sierra and see what you think of it compared to Stone's barleywine.

I've got a few bottles left. I'll need some company, though. The Stone is 22 oz. + the Bigfoot. I could take it even further and add a bottle of the Anchor Old Foghorn I'm saving.

On another thread on this site, someone posted a link to a little video clip of stone's head brewer discussing cellaring, esp in reference to the old guardian. He stated unequivocally that they should be stored in your fridge. Makes it pretty easy, I guess. I have one that's been in the fridge for about a month, and I keep wanting to crack it open...but I think I can hold off for now.

yah I need to suck it up and start buying 6 bottles of barleywine at a time.
I can't even find the Bigfoot around here now. I swear it was on the shelves for a couple of weeks and then completely gone.

Back