Activity in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I racked into the secondary two days ago and had a rough go of it, with a couple of breaks in the siphon that caused me to have to pull the tubing out, immerse it in the cleaning solution, then restart it. I know it wasn't perfect, but I was careful not to lean over or drop anything into the carboys, and I never got flustered and splashed anything around. And though my beer looks much cleaner sitting in the secondary, it looks absolutely flat and lifeless. No airlock activity, nothing showing me anything is going on. Is there something I may have done wrong while siphoning? It seriously looks like brown water.

WalterSobcheck said:
I racked into the secondary two days ago and had a rough go of it, with a couple of breaks in the siphon that caused me to have to pull the tubing out, immerse it in the cleaning solution, then restart it. I know it wasn't perfect, but I was careful not to lean over or drop anything into the carboys, and I never got flustered and splashed anything around. And though my beer looks much cleaner sitting in the secondary, it looks absolutely flat and lifeless. No airlock activity, nothing showing me anything is going on. Is there something I may have done wrong while siphoning? It seriously looks like brown water.

There should not be much activity in the seconday at all. Fermentation is basically DONE (or should be) when you rack out of the primary, and you are just letting the beer clear up and mature in flavor in the secondary.

"Secondary" just means "secondary fermenter" and not "secondary fermentation".

Everything sounds like it is going fine. RDWHAHB.

-walker

The secondary is really about getting the ale off of the trub and letting it clarify. The only time I see activity is when I've racked a barleywine or another high gravity ale and added a finishing yeast.

Psst! That "brown water" is really beer. Pass it on....:D

Man, you should have seen me brewing/racking/bottling my first batch. Was I ever afraid of screwing things up. We've all been there.

Relax...you know the rest....:D

I have only had activity in the secondary once and I think it was due to the dry yeast I used... as soon as I racked it into the secondary, all these clumps of dry yeast started breaking down and bubbling... it wasnt anything like the primary, but I did bubble a little in the airlock... other than that time it normally looks like "brown water"....

Jester

I am at the exact same point with the secondary and my brown water is the same as yours, however I am wondering if after 10 days I should take the dry hopping bag out or just keep it closed andl leave the hops in for the complete 2 weeks. Sorry if this is :off:

I'd take the "dry hopping bag" out. Leaving those in too long will make your beer taste and smell like grass.

homebrewer_99 said:
Man, you should have seen me brewing/racking/bottling my first batch. Was I ever afraid of screwing things up. We've all been there.

Everyone who ended up elbow deep in their first batch trying to find the rubber grommit, say "Aye".

"Aye".

Back