Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on making this recipe within the next few days but would like to increase the alcohol content a bit. What would be the best way to do this? Corn sugar, increasing the amount of flaked corn or rice, or base malt? Beersmith is estimating 4.03 ABV which seems low for my liking, I would like it somewhere in the 6 to 6.5% range.

I plan on making this recipe within the next few days but would like to increase the alcohol content a bit. What would be the best way to do this? Corn sugar, increasing the amount of flaked corn or rice, or base malt? Beersmith is estimating 4.03 ABV which seems low for my liking, I would like it somewhere in the 6 to 6.5% range.

I would scale everything up equally ingredient-wise first. You can use amylase enzyme (AE) too to pull the gravity to 1.000 in the secondary. This alone will buy you almost .5% ABV Maybe more, depends where your yeast will putter out w/o help.

I have Chucks World Beer Cup and there are recipes for Ice Beers & Malt Liquor.

For example 5 gals of Olde English 800. OG 1.055 FG1.000 = 7.24% ABV
  • 3.5 # 2-Row
  • 3.75 # 6-Row
  • 3.0 # Flaked Corn
  • Nugget & Cluster Hopped for 105min for 14IBU
If you make this bottle in bombers and drink right from the bottle w/ a paper bag!:D

This below is a 7%ABV Brew (with AE) W/O 6.3%.

3 Crop Cream Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.44
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.02
Anticipated SRM: 2.9
Anticipated IBU: 18
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.6 6.67 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
23.5 2.22 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
5.9 0.56 lbs. Minute Rice American 1.040 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.45 oz. Crystal Pellet 3.25 8.8 60 min.
0.45 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 13.5 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.17 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
Fermentis US-05 Safale

To you guys who have gotten your FG down to 1.000--how does it taste?
Looking to formulating a recipe like this for a guy who is starting brewing and likes light beers.Thinking that a 1.032SG down to 1.000 would net a light beer w/ 4% alc.

To you guys who have gotten your FG down to 1.000--how does it taste?
Looking to formulating a recipe like this for a guy who is starting brewing and likes light beers.Thinking that a 1.032SG down to 1.000 would net a light beer w/ 4% alc.

I am making Miller Lite clones with a 92% eff getting 1.035 and 4.6% ABV. They are dry and tasty. The corn flavor in the beer just about non-existent. I can barely detect it, but I do triple hop these "Lite" beers. 60, 0, dry. I still hit the 16-18IBU target. You get good flavor & aroma. As for the corn taste, I think I notice it since I know its in the beer. I can't taste it with every sip. When it cold and well carbed is makes for an easy drinking session beer. Almost too easy.

I have used Cascade, Sorachi Ace & German Nobles. I served 10 gallons at a bar, the beer was free, lasted only 75 minutes... Took in more than $100 in tips.

For a light beer definitely try using Amylase Enzyme to pull it down to 1.000 its partially why they are very neutral there is no residual dextrines to give it off flavors. That's what you want for those BMC drinkers.

I really like the Sorachi Ace MLC. It very light 4.5% ABV, tastes good with a hint of lemon, smells good. Cost me ~$12.00 (I'm out of work - that's my motive...needs to be cheap for me.)

I have a MLC recipe in the drop down.

What do the die hard ML drinkers think about the 17ibus and actual hop flavor?

The recipe I have for ML is from Chuck's Homebrewers Gold. Miller Lite is the 1st Place Winner in its Category for World Beer Cup. So its typical. Really no percieved bitterness but not sweet either, balanced. I think in the 15-20 range for IBUs its indistinguishable to the average taster.

Miller Lite Style Parameters.
SG: 1.030
FG: 1.000
ABV: 4.2%
SRM: 3
Bittering: 16IBUs

Diehards, not 100% sure. I served my beer to beer snobs & home brewers. I guess some of non-home brewer types prefer a german tri-hopped beer. The HBrs cascade.

The Chuck's MLC recipe only calls for 16IBUs from a 60 min hop addition. No 0, No Dry. Needs late additions IMO.

Brewed this about 4 weeks ago. Everything was done by the book according to the original recipe, except this was a 5 gallon batch. HUGE hit at my 4th of July party! Even my uncle, a BIG BMC drinker, couldn't stop going back to the keg for more! Thanks for the recipe. This one may have to be a brewery staple.

Also, I'm going to be brewing this one up again next Monday before my bro leaves for Afghanistan. Going to show him the whole process. Because this is such an awesome base beer, I'm going to actually try and make this into a blueberry ale. 4-5 lbs of frozen blueberries added to the secondary. I'll post back in a month or so with the results.

Getting ready to brew this Sunday, half will be for a family picnic in 4 weeks and the other half will have lime extract added at bottling time in an attempt to appease SWMBO who loves bud light lime.

Let us know how it turns out. This recipe is oh so close to gluten free, I've been toying with the idea of modding it for celiac drinkers.

Long time no reply. I couldn't get the corn to convert w/o malt so I ended up making the best beer I ever tasted by accident. I made a chocolate beer which turned out great from this experiement. When I brew it again, if it turns out as good as the first one I'll publish my recipe. Right now I prep'ing to brew this cream ale.

Since I brew this more for the "public" than my own consumption, I always rack to a secondary after 2 weeks with gelatin. Let it sit for 48 hours and you should be able to read a newspaper through the carboy.

Then I rack to a keg and chill for 10 days. Just a couple pints in...and she'll start flowing very clearly.
What is this "gelatin" you guys are talking about when racking to the secondary? Anyone?

What is this "gelatin" you guys are talking about when racking to the secondary? Anyone?

This is from Northern Brewer. NORTHERN BREWER: Additives

Gelatin. A fining agent that also reduces astringency by removing tannin. Use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons.

You can use this stuff too. Close to where the minute rice is located! :D

51t84QplroL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

My brewing went well. The willamette I had was lower AA and I had less than I expected, crystal hops were out so I subbed EKG which got my IBU's almost there,so I threw in a extra 1/4 oz amarillo FWH to get 15 IBU's. My first 10g batch and 83% efficiency! I had a lot of protien or something floating in the kettle but the whirlflock settled it out quick in the fermenter.
n1069693023_536780_2906426.jpg

5609_1176899777214_1069693023_536777_4107267_n.jpg

I just finished up with 11 gallons and overshot my numbers. Normally I get about 70% efficiency but since I double milled the grain combined with the 90 minute mash I ended up at close to 74% and a gravity of 1.050.

Overall the beer looks incredibly light and I think will come out great.

Since I normally get lower eff. I went ahead and modified the recipe like this.

13lbs 2 row
5lbs flaked corn
1lb + 12oz minute rice
1oz organic hallertauer (8.6%)

30uzm9s.jpg

Does anyone have a 2.5 gallon AG version of this recipe?

Would you be able to scale down the ingredients. I would think that would be the only thing you have to do is cut the ingredients (except yeast). I did this to get to a batch size of 5.5 gallons.

I am brewing this now, but it looks to be a big more than the 2.5 gal I usually have. I over sparged to make up for the long boil time. Maybe it will boil down to where it needs to be, but I am throwing it in a 5 gal fermenter just in case. Here is what I went with:
6 lbs 2row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lbs of minute rice

.5 oz Tett (6.1AA) 60 min
.5 oz Crystal (3.1 AA) 30 min

Using Notty but I do have Safale04... will decide when I get to that part.

I am very excited about this batch and hope it turn out great. I am drinking an experiement right now and I am not impressed, so I need an easy win. :)

EDIT: I didn't notice that this originally was for a 10 gal batch. I was brewing a 2.5 gal batch and used the above recipe!!! Well, I will split this when I go to secondary and have two 2.5 batches! :)

Quick advice anyone?

What do you think of either German Hallertau or Liberty to replace Crystal hops. Both are 3.0 Alpha.

Would using Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blond yeast to replace the Safeale 05. Either my LHBS doesn't carry or are out of the 05. Or I have a Muttons no rehydration needed yeast???

Quick advice anyone?

What do you think of either German Hallertau or Liberty to replace Crystal hops. Both are 3.0 Alpha.

Would using Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blond yeast to replace the Safeale 05. Either my LHBS doesn't carry or are out of the 05. Or I have a Muttons no rehydration needed yeast???

Those hops are great subs.

Sorry...I've been off having some summer fun and fallen behind around here. :D

Hallertau would work fine, in my experience - I've not used Liberty so can't help you there.

As for yeast, another option might be White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend. High attenuation, clean and nuetral. I used this is a light blonde ale and it turned out well. Gave off a little sulfur odor that went away after a month or so.

Can't comment on the wyeast you asked about, haven't used it. Good luck!

Quick advice anyone?

Those hops are great subs.

Sorry...I've been off having some summer fun and fallen behind around here. :D

Having fun is what its all about no need to apologize for enjoying yourself. I'm just anxious to brew in my new brew kitchen. ImageShack Gallery What about my yeast selections previously mentioned (blonde or mutton)? I also have a California lager yeast but it arrived in a Baltic Porter kit. I also have a White Labs ... something that came with a Monkey On the Mainline Porter kit.

??????????????

Having fun is what its all about no need to apologize for enjoying yourself. I'm just anxious to brew in my new brew kitchen. ImageShack Gallery What about my yeast selections previously mentioned (blonde or mutton)? I also have a California lager yeast but it arrived in a Baltic Porter kit. I also have a White Labs ... something that came with a Monkey On the Mainline Porter kit.

??????????????

For this beer, which I've really enjoyed (we have another batch in process now, calling it 95th Anniversary Ale for the anniversary of an organization I'm involved with), I think you want yeast that:

is highly attenuated - will eat up all the sugars it can, leaving a light body

is clean and neutral - doesn't add its own character to the beer

Evaluate what you've got and see which meets those two criteria and that's what I'd suggest using. I would think the California lager yeast would be pretty close, if you can ferment at lager temps.

Ready to try this brew..Going to do half and half..5 gallons with s23 and lager it and half with s05 and leave at room temp. Before i can do this, i need to set my fridge for the appropriate lager temp..

1. How do i measure what my fridge temp is? I got a baby thermoter and put it in liquid and it keeps reading error. To do the lagering batch

2. I have seen many posts about s05 being pitched at 68-70...I live in Florida..If I set my thermostate to 70 and leave it out in the kitchen. Is that sufficient for the 5 gallons that i want to brew using the ale yeast.

Has anyone done this recipe as both, taste differences?

The baby thermo is probably not designed for that temp range, it's focused on body temp calibrations. Try a digital kitchen thermo, or a fridge thermo.

Where can i purchase a fridge thermoter? or digital kitchen one?Sites ? or general supermarket

Ended up waiting on this and brewed two porters instead. I got my supplies Friday night and brewed up this gem on Saturday. Its in the bucket with all the originally called for ingredients. The only thing I did was mix up the grain bill slightly. BM said it was a flexible grain bill and since I brew for 5 gallons and not 10 I changed it only ever so slightly. 5 lbs 6 row pale malt, 5 lbs flaked corn, 1 lb 12 oz store brand of Minute Rice. Enjoyed the day brewing it. Looking forward to taking it to the HC Beerfest in Boone, NC.

I have an American Creme Ale (DME - full boil) in the primary now, but I am looking forward to using this recipe to do my first true AG. I have to wait till Tuesday to get my cooler set-up, then I will proceed. I really liked all the reviews and comments and believe this will be the one to get me converted to AG as a regular process.

Salute! :mug:

This is really a good beer and quite scary from a home brewer perspective because we love to brew with the typical 4 ingredients but I'll be damned if this beer doesn't turn out tasty and refreshing.

As a side note I split a 10 gallon batch and made a lime extract that I added at bottling time for one half and kegged the other. My wife is a big BL Lime fan and wanted me to try and make something similar so I opted for this recipe as the base. The lime version is still carbing in the bottles but the kegged stuff is very nice, even my non beer loving wife thinks it tastes pretty good.

Quick advice anyone?

I used organic hallertau and Notty it seems to have worked out well. If Kevin is going to the next grain pickup I will bring a bottle and let him be the judge. :mug:

I used organic hallertau and Notty it seems to have worked out well. If Kevin is going to the next grain pickup I will bring a bottle and let him be the judge. :mug:

Sorry Steve, I won't make this pick up. I'm fully stocked and brewing has been usurped by the motorcycle for a while. I've got a C of 3 C's crushed and the gear set up in the brewshop, I just can't bring myself to light the burner while the open road calls.

Take a few bottles to the pick up and spread the word. Kent always likes a good pilsner style to sip on whilst weighing partials. :mug:

Someone made a comment that flaked rice/corn almost looks like potato flakes.

Anyone tried it with potato flakes? Its a starch, so I'd think it should convert.

Someone made a comment that flaked rice/corn almost looks like potato flakes.

Anyone tried it with potato flakes? Its a starch, so I'd think it should convert.

I double-dog dare you to make a SMaSH Beer from potato flakes or cooked and riced potatoes. :D

I just brewed a 5G batch of this (by just dividing the grain bill in half) but had a brain cramp and did the full hop additions. Luckily my gravity was a little higher, so hopefully it didn't come out too bitter (1.049 into the bucket). I guess it may be a little bitter, but hopefully still drinkable. Has anyone experiemented with adding vanilla to this?

Brewing my 2nd batch of this right now. Followed the 1st to a tee, changing this one only slightly:

15 pounds Pale 2 row
2 pounds Flaked Maize

90 minute mash at 152
Fly Sparging (Batch sparged 1st one)

90 Minute boil

Willamette 1.4 ounces for 60 minutes
Hallertau 1 ounce for 30 minutes

US-05 yeast

Back