Can someone run this through their Beer Tools?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhifistereo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I ran this through beercalculus. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to buy Beer Tools yet (limited budget). Think anyone could run this through their Tools? I have a specific question(s). But before the question here are some specifics:

Planning on doing 5 gallon extract w/ grains. Here's what I got for supplies:

3.3 lb can of Muntons Wheat LME
3 lbs. Plain Amber DME
3 lbs. 40L Crystal Malt 6 row

1 oz. Cascade pellets--60 min.
2 oz. Vanguard Leaf--60 min.

Wyeast's German Ale (1007)

What is the optimal water temperature I should use for my grains? And how long should I steep them? I didn't know what to set the mash efficiency on brewcalculus for so I guessed and picked 70%. Figured I would be better off to guess lower rather than higher. Never used to take gravity readings . . . until now, just bought a hydrometer.

Beercalculus says with my efficiency rating and amount of extract and grains that my OG should be between 1.055 and 1.064. Anyone think this sounds right? I have no clue because of my lack of taking gravity readings.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I get with BeerSmith. BTW, this is a great tool and well worth the $25! Not sure what style you're trying to make, but if it were me I would only have 1lb at most of the Crystal 40L and increase the LME or DME. This will increase your fermentables, and decrease the residual sweetness.

EDIT: Also, I would change the hop additions....move your cascades to 10min or 5min for aroma. If you desire more bitterness either use an ounce of Chinook or some other high alpha hop or increase the 60 minute addition.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 32.26 %
3.30 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 35.48 %
3.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 32.26 %
2.00 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 39.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.24 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Bitterness: 58.7 IBU Calories: 236 cal/pint
Est Color: 17.7 SRM

I honestly wasn't looking for any sort of style. Just figured I would throw some random ingredients together and see what comes out on the other end.

I figured the Crystal was a little heavy, hence the reason for 3 oz. of hop through the entire boil.

Any clue as to steeping temp and for how long?

+1 on reducing the crystal. i haven't seen many recipes that call for more than a pound. most go half. i also might move some of the hops to the end of the boil to get some flavor.

I honestly wasn't looking for any sort of style. Just figured I would throw some random ingredients together and see what comes out on the other end.
Nothing stopping you from doing this. But random recipe generation often leads to some horrible beer, and perhaps, a waste of good ingredients and time.

Why not use the FREE Beertools tools and explore yourself? Try the online Recipe Generator if you are interested in experimenting. Or use the Recipe Calculator if you have a recipe in mind and you need to fine tune it.

I figured the Crystal was a little heavy, hence the reason for 3 oz. of hop through the entire boil.

Any clue as to steeping temp and for how long?

Crack the grains, place them in room temp water, then raise the temp of the water to ~165F. When it gets to 165F, remove the grains (optionally, rinse them with fresh 170F water to get higher efficiency), and you should be good.

My ah-ha moment for the day. BeerTools Generator tells me that I can use the Crystal with either the Wheat LME or the Amber DME, but not with the extracts combined. You know what this means? I have enough supplies to probably make 2 batches (with maybe 1 or 2 more things plus some hops). And here I thought I had screwed something up.

I don't see why you can't use Crystal with both amber and wheat extracts. All you're doing is steeping the grains to get a bit more complexity in your beer, and to add color. It also adds a residual sweetness due to the amount of unfermentable "caramelized" sugars. My first batch was very simple, but produced a suprisingly great beer; even some BMC friends really liked it! Don't be afraid to start with a simple recipe, some of the greatest beers from the more experienced brewers here are VERY simple, yet VERY good. Here's the recipe for my first batch:

Ingredients:
6.5# Alexander's Light Extract (LME)
1# Caramel Malt (60L) Steeping Grains
2oz. Whole Cascade Hops (6.1% Alpha)
1/3 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast 1056 Smack Pack

Brewing Schedule:

Note: Volumes are intended for use in a full boil.
1# Caramel Malt - Steep at 155F for 30 minutes in 1.5gal water
Main Boil Kettle: Boil 4.5gal of water
6.51# LME - boil for 60 minutes
Add 1.5g water from steeping grains to main kettle (for a total of 6.0 gallons)
1oz Hops - in boil for 60 minutes (bittering)
Irish Moss - 1/3 tsp in boil for 50 minuntes
1/2 oz Hops - boil for 30 minutes (flavoring)
1/2 oz Hops - boil for 2 minutes (aroma)

Back