American Light Lager TBR - Tim's Blue Ribbon (Premium American Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1035 American Lager
Yeast Starter
1.5 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 50 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days @34 F
So I brewed this New Year's Day for a fishing trip that never happened-but it won a "Blue Ribbon" at Slurp and Burp here in the Portland OR area. Thought I'd share it. It tastes most like a Harp lager or a more refined and heavier Pabst Blue Ribbon. It's basically Jamil Zainasheff's Blonde Ale recipe from BYO Jan/Feb 08 brewed with lager yeast.

OG: 1049
FG: 1011
IBU: 20
SRM: 5
ABV: 5%

10 lbs 2 row 2L (6.3 lbs light liquid extract/5.1 lbs light dry extract)
.25 lbs crystal 10L
.25 lbs crystal 20L

4.1 AAU Willamette hops (60 min)
(.82 oz/23 g of 5% alpha)

Single Infusion 152f 60 min

Wyeast 2035 American Lager Yeast

Ferment in primary 50f for 3 weeks/rack to secondary 4 weeks at 34f
Prime with 1 cup corn sugar (2.8 volumes CO2)

Since it tastes like harp, after doing some research and matched the hops of harp, will see how it turns out. It's still in the primary right now.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Home Brew Talk

Since it tastes like harp, after doing some research and matched the hops of harp, will see how it turns out. It's still in the primary right now.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Home Brew Talk

Any update on this and what hop did you go with?

Made this nine to ten weeks ago. On co2 now. Waiting for it to clear up and Carb up. Not sure why its so cloudy must be the yeast still falling out. Will post a pic and the recipe after some tasting and to see if it turned out OK.

Go for it!

I think I'm gonna brew this as my first lager. Is the fermentation schedule just 3 weeks at 50 and then secondary at 34? Guess I'm just confused about diacetyl rests. If it's that straight forward it should be fairly easy.

D-rest is after primary, before lagering. Bring to mid 60s for 2 or 3 days, then chill to lager temp.

Happy Brewings,

Tim

D-rest is after primary, before lagering. Bring to mid 60s for 2 or 3 days, then chill to lager temp.

Happy Brewings,

Tim

Fantastic. Thanks for the response! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I brewed this New Year's Day for a fishing trip that never happened-but it won a "Blue Ribbon" at Slurp and Burp here in the Portland OR area. Thought I'd share it. It tastes most like a Harp lager or a more refined and heavier Pabst Blue Ribbon. It's basically Jamil Zainasheff's Blonde Ale recipe from BYO Jan/Feb 08 brewed with lager yeast.

Ferment in primary 50f for 3 weeks/rack to secondary 4 weeks at 34f

I was just building this recipe out in BeerSmith and setting up the fermentation profile when I noticed that 2035 specifies a minimum temperature of 48F. Did you really have success with 2035 at 34F four 4 weeks?

The specs on the yeast are for fermentation temperatures. The range is 48 to 58 f. I try to ferment in the low 50's. After the beer has reached final gravity, then it is lagered near freezing for 3 or more weeks; that is the 34 degree step.

Hoe that clears it up,
Cheers
Tim

I'm finally brewing this today. Actually, this is going to be my next 4 brews. I'm using this to dial in my new brew system.

I only have 1 packet of saflager 34/70 so the first might not turn out the best but I plan on using the yeast cake for the next few beers. I'll post picks when it's finished!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416162747.699861.jpg

Just about to boil!

I'm finally brewing this today. Actually, this is going to be my next 4 brews. I'm using this to dial in my new brew system.

I only have 1 packet of saflager 34/70 so the first might not turn out the best but I plan on using the yeast cake for the next few beers. I'll post picks when it's finished!

I went to the LHBS this morning and bought another pack of saflager. I opened the fermenter and sprinkled it in. I also bought Wyeast Budvar yeast for the next batch. I'm going to play around with a few yeasts to see which one is better for the beer.

royal1911, I enjoy trying different yeasts. I have had great success with Mexican Lager yeast. It is very easy to use: has a wide fermentation range, works fast and clears well. I often split my wort into multiple fermenters and use different yeasts. Amazing how different the beers can be. Hope the ferment goes well!

Tim

royal1911, I enjoy trying different yeasts. I have had great success with Mexican Lager yeast. It is very easy to use: has a wide fermentation range, works fast and clears well. I often split my wort into multiple fermenters and use different yeasts. Amazing how different the beers can be. Hope the ferment goes well!

Tim

Thanks Tim. I may try the mexican lager in a few brews

I just kegged this one up. It tasted great right out of the fermenter. I can't wait to enjoy it in a week or so!

Brewed this one up 3 weeks ago and pulled it out of the fermenter a couple days ago. Started fermentation at 54° and ended at 58°. It was darn near drinkable at this stage. It's getting a d-rest right now (not sure if this is necessary or not but what the heck) and will probably go into the keg for a one month lager tonight or tomorrow.

Back