To Rack And Dry-Hop The 60 Minute IPA, Or Not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I brewed up the 60 Minute IPA recipe last Monday and it's been sitting in the primary for 9 days now. I'm still getting significant bubbling (about 2-3 per minute).

So I'm wondering, is it even worth taking a hydrometer reading tomorrow (day 10) or should I just wait until the bubbling has significantly slowed down? Or should I just rack, dry-hop, and let it ferment out in the secondary (probably a bad idea since it's being dry-hopped)?

Normally by 10 days most brews should be done, but I'd take hydrometer readings to ensure that fermentation is complete before racking to secondary.

ohiobrewtus said:
Normally by 10 days most brews should be done, but I'd take hydrometer readings to ensure that fermentation is complete before racking to secondary.

My thoughts as well. I used Safale US-05. The thing is, when I've used this yeast before I've had complete fermentation in under 72 hours. Temperatures have been the same as well so this one is perplexing me.

I finished a 60 min IPA. I used Ringwood Ale yeast and the son of a gun fermented for close to a month. I was on the board asking the notorious "Is it finished yet" question. I never had one go that long. I would wait a few days and then check it.

If it's still bubbling, then it's still fermenting. As the purpose of taking a gravity reading is to verify that fermentation is finished (no change in gravity over 2 - 3 days), there's no point in taking a reading until the visible signs of fermentation have stopped.

-a.

ajf said:
If it's still bubbling, then it's still fermenting.

Not necessarily. CO2 can come out of solution regardless of whether the beer is currently actively fermenting. It's fairly likely that it's still fermenting, but the only way to actually be sure is to use your hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back