Brown Sugar Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
I recently brewed a brown ale and was hoping to prime it with brown sugar to give it a little bit of a molasses taste in the background. After reading more about it, it appears that the brown sugar will almost completely ferment out and leave no traceable flavor.

I am trying to mimic the flavor of DFH's Indian Brown but am not sure how to do this. Does anyone have any experience with adding this flavor to their beer and how they got it?

I've seen DFH IBA clone recipes, and they usually call for the brown sugar to be lightly caramelized before adding to the boil. This would result in more unfermentables, and likely more residual flavor.

My brown ale is unfortunately at the tail end of primary so I can really only work with additions prior to bottling. Maybe I will overshoot the priming by 5-10% and let it caramelize a little before I throw it in.

Thoughts on that. Or should I prime with dark brown sugar and also just add 1 tsp or so of molasses to the priming solution since it is already pretty much unfermentable??

The darker the brown sugar, the more lingering the flavor will be. There are quite a few pumpkin ales on the market that are primed with brown sugar that have plenty of brown sugar on the taste buds. I've used it and it worked fine....

Priming with it is not the same a using it as a main fermentable in the boil. You're going to still get the mollassesy flavor.

THANKS REVVY! This is the answer I was looking for. I figured it wouldnt be fully eaten up if I primed with it. Looks like I will stick with my plan and prime with dark brown sugar as if it was table sugar and see how the flavor develops.

Thanks again!

Back