bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstanavech

Reaction score
Im thinking of recycling some beer bottles when i bottle my cider. They are the twist off caps. Was thinking of heating the bottle with cider in it and cap on loose. Then once the bottle is warm twist the cap down all the way. Good idea or bad?

I assume your heating method is just to warm up the cap seal to make it a more air tight fit? Why not just put the caps in some hot water to soften up the seal and then you don't have to mess with heating the bottles.

I've never tried using screw caps my self. The little hand cappers aren't horribly expensive and then make a nice tight seal. Of course you will have to go buy a case of beer (without screw caps) and drink them real quick ;) Or just rummage through the recycle bins of your neighbors.

It's actually a process used in canning. You're creating a vacuum by heating the bottle and liquid inside. Thinking about it now it's more work then what i was going to use......mason jars! And its going to be awhile before it's ready to bottle. Just got it going Tuesday.

I tried putting screw caps back on to screw bottles and there is really not much success with a good seal... I think the screw capping machine is the only thing that can make a good seal on screw Caps...

If I were you I would save myself tons of grief and just go rummage through some recycle bins get some regular bottles, Oxi clean them and cap them with regular caps...

rstanavech said:
It's actually a process used in canning. You're creating a vacuum by heating the bottle and liquid inside. Thinking about it now it's more work then what i was going to use......mason jars! And its going to be awhile before it's ready to bottle. Just got it going Tuesday.

If you're making a still product the mason jars will be okay, But not if you have carbonated beer or cider I'm told.... Mason bombs (Like bottle bombs but with more shrapnel) :)

Could work. Beer caps are designed to seal under pressure, so my only fear would be if they would seal under vacuum.

I don't know guys... I say why risk that once you've spent all the time and effort to make your cider, beer or whatever...
Unless you're making a still cider then it's no big deal in my eyes...
But if your carbonating I would think it's important to you to have 50 out of 50 bottles carbonated as opposed to 50 bottled and only 40 that have kept their seal...
Just my two cents
:mug:

Wasnt thinking of carbonating. Was going to stabilize in secondary and backsweeten to taste. May use apple juice concentrate for that. Then age for a few months.

Back