Wyeast budvar lager..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellarstar

Reaction score
Hi I have a czech pils on the go now, I pitched yeast at 12c and kept at that temp for 36 hours there was no sigh of fermentation so I let it come up to 20c over night and things started to work. Is my best bet now to drop back to 10-12c till finished?

I would slowly drop the temp back down to 12c. Lagers take longer to get going. My Bo pils I currently ha e fermenting took almost 72 hours to get going at 12. You will most likely have to do a d rest.

absolutely. Not sure about the specifics for that particular strain, but I believe most lager yeast ferments best in the 10-15c range. 20c is pretty warm and might cause the yeast to produce undesired esters and such. I'd bring the temp back down to where it should be.

I now have it so it should stay between 10-15 so will leave it there. I was going to keep it slow but forgot to turn of heater in shed. Will it effect it been high for that short of a time?

Diacetal rest. When fermentation is about 90% done let the temp rise to 15c or so. That will encourage the yeast to be more active and they will clean up some of the off flavors produced during fermentation. I would most certainly do the d rest since you had the temp swings. Give the beer at least 2 weeks on the yeast cake before lagering. Cheers

Back