kombucha for tartness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seraphorist

Reaction score
i am currently brewing a batch of kombucha to try blending it with a beer for the tartness. i know kombucha left at room temp produces a "mother" or "scoby," and that seems like it would be really gross come time to bottle condition. i'm not sure, but it seems like you would get a teeny tiny mother in every bottle neck. some kombucha brands you buy at the store are pasteurized to keep them from further fermentation, so i figure i can just bring my kombucha up to 150º (i read somewhere not to let your kombucha get above 160º, no details as to why. i'm guessing nasty off flavors), and if i do this before blending it it should be fine. i have no experience with this so far, but you got to do it to learn it. anybody else try brewing with kombucha? any tips, ideas on what i just said?

i'm going for a very kombuch strong flavor presence. i tried a goose island fleur recently with such high hopes that were very quickly dashed. a good beer, but i didn't even get a hint of kombucha (why even advertise it as such?). i hear there is another brew out there on the market that is more potent, but i do live in oklahoma... my chances of having it are so so very slim. hence my homebrew experiments.

Back