Difference between Belgian rock candy and Belgian candy syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhelanKA7

Relax? RELAX?!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the thread title suggests what are the differences between using the syrup as opposed to the hard candy? If I'm not mistaken they both break down to the same sugar after being boiled into the wort, so why might a brewer use one over the other and shouldn't they pretty much be exchangeable in recipes?

The rocks are really nothing more than table sugar. Get the liquid stuff. That is the way the Belgians use it. I believe the liquid stuff consists of dextrose and sucrose. Also, according to Stan Hieronymus (SP?) (Author of Brew Like a Monk), the Belgians use the liquid stuff and there is a marked difference between the flavors they impart in the beer.

The rocks are really nothing more than table sugar. Get the liquid stuff. That is the way the Belgians use it. I believe the liquid stuff consists of dextrose and sucrose. Also, according to Stan Hieronymus (SP?) (Author of Brew Like a Monk), the Belgians use the liquid stuff and there is a marked difference between the flavors they impart in the beer.

Good to know, since I've always used the rock candy. I'll have to give the syrup a shot next time. Thanks.

It isn't difficult to make both syrup and rock candy. The only difference is the temp you allow the syrup to get to. Basically, it is
1lb of sugar to 1cup of water. add lemon juice or an acid. Bring to a boil. Boil and add teaspoons of water to keep it liquid till you get slightly lighter than desired color. As the color darkens, the flavors will also darken (from apricot and peach to plum and prune). Then cool.
Syrup from my experience is used after the boil in the primary.
The Rock Candi is optimal for adding during the boil since they need some heat in order to go into solution.

I agree though, It is just easier to make your own syrup and add it when needed.

Back