Using washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mochs275

Reaction score
I’ve been here lurking for a few months now reading 100’s of posts and have learned a lot. I’m getting ready to try all grain in a few weeks, but have 1 more extract kit on hand to brew up. I bought two kits from The Home Brewery; 1 was the Brewers Red Ale, the other is their lawnmower beer(to take out crabbing and fishing this summer)I just washed the yeast from the red ale, and am going to brew the lawnmower beer tomorrow. My question is can I use this washed yeast from the red ale for the lawnmower beer even though it is a smaller beer than the red ale was. They both came with the same yeast, Safale US-05. I’ve read that you are supposed to go bigger not smaller, but wasn’t sure if this mattered when planning on using the same type of yeast.

Thanks

Mike

Personally, I wouldn't have any problems going from a bigger beer to a smaller one with the same yeast (washed, or just dumped on the cake). You may have a bit more yeast than you need, but this hasn't been a problem in my experience. Generally, yes the trend is to start with the smaller beer so you have more yeast for a bigger beer but I don't see any problems with doing just the opposite. The important thing for me is just having enough yeast. I often use the same yeast for 6-10 batches in a row, and they don't all follow the smaller beer --> larger beer trend. I hope this helps. Best of luck...you'll love all-grain!

Thanks, I got 3 pints of washed yeast, I'll take one and make a starter with it tonight to make sure I'm good to go tomorrow.

Back