Raising ferm temp on stout with wy 1084

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
I've brewed a dry stout using Wyeast 1084. I pitched the yeast @ 64° and have held that temp for 5 days now. The recipe I used(Jamil's) says to raise the temp by 6 degrees in the final third of fermentation to reduce diacetyl levels.

Is this really necessary if I plan on keeping the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks? The ambient temp of the room is about 55°, and I'm using a brew Belt that I hooked up to a dimmer so I can adjust the temp.

Few things are necessary in brewing. Raising the temp will generally help the yeast clean up more quickly and completely, though. It will probably improve your beer to do so. How much? I couldn't say, as it all depends upon the particulars of your fermentation and palate. As long as you can hold the temp steady, at least, I wouldn't worry too much. Keep that brewbelt going, and see if you can't move it to a warmer room (5-10F warmer) for a few days.

3-4 weeks in the mid 60s will be just fine for the yeasties to clean up after themselves.

The last few days it has gotten a bit cooler in the basement. It was down to 52, and the wort was down in the low 60's even with the brew belt cranked all the way up. I went out and got one of those oil filled electric heaters. The room temp is now up to 60, and the wort is now up to 68 with the brew belt on.

I took a gravity reading, and I'm at 1.021.....FG is supposed to be 1.013...so it looks like I have a little ways to go yet. Sample tastes great BTW.

I told SWMBO that the heater was to keep the dogs warm down there;)

Latest posts

Back