No carb question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakudwn

Reaction score
I have a problem with a Hefe I bottled about 18 days ago. When I went to bottle I overheated the corn sugar and it made a thick goo when I cooled it down too fast, so I heated it back up and poured it into my bottle bucket. Well when I was done bottling there was a bunch of the sugar stuck to the bottom of the bucket so it didn’t it make into the bottles. I opened a bottle on Sat (16 days into the carbing) and had no carb at all. My question is this, I'm about to pick up my kegging stuff, would it be bad to just dump the bottles into a keg slowly and just force carb it?

Thanks!

yea what they said. plus odds are you may have gotten sufficient sugar into SOME of the bottles to atleast allow for a partial carb.

!8 days is STILL too early to judge, if you got some sugar water (not the crud) into your bottling bucket and mixed you will have some carbonation in time....It's possible (and proven by running the numbers in beersmith) to NOT add priming sugar and get minimal carbonation of a few volumes in time (in old brewing british brewing books they didn't ass sugar to some ordinary bitters and relied on time and temp to do the work naturally.)

So it's possible for even the slightest amount of sugar to give the yeasties enough food...I would adjitated the beer to re-rouse the yeast and set them aside for a couple more weeks, making sure they are above 70 degrees....

Read this...

Revvy's Blog of patience and bottle conditioning.

If you are getting kegging stuff, just set these bottles aside a few more weeks, and see if they do their thing....but if you tried to dump them in the keg, you could more than likely end up oxydizing them beer, and making them worse, rather than just having undercarbed beer...if you were in England, you would more than likely think lower carbed beers were better (like cask ales) but you are probably a yank who grew up with highly fizzy yellow water beer, so you think beer has to be highly fizzed, when in truth it can be quite drinakabble at a lower level of carbonation as well.

but you are probably a yank who grew up with highly fizzy yellow water beer, so you think beer has to be highly fizzed, when in truth it can be quite drinakabble at a lower level of carbonation as well.

Yea ima Yank............and i was hoping to have some of it ready for this weekend. I did swirl the bottles and ill set them aside for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Revvy.

Yea ima Yank............and i was hoping to have some of it ready for this weekend. I did swirl the bottles and ill set them aside for a couple of weeks.

Thanks Revvy.

I've found that unless you plan a couple months in advance for something, you can't cut corners with bottling and HOPE something will be ready in under three weeks, even if it's carbed it could still taste like a$$...we have to remember that WE are not in charge, the yeast are....

If you wanted them done by memorial day, you should have bottled them a month or more ago...

By some great micros instead. :mug:

I still have some irish red left that is about 4weeks in the bottle and tastes great, was just hoping for a couple of different brews.

thanks again, ill keep waiting!

I kept waiting and no carb, so this weekend i dumped them all into a keg. as of sunday they were drinkable and very tasty. So for the time being it has worked. As far as off flavors we will see with time, although i don't think this will be around more than a week.

Nice save. Your only worry might be oxidation if it happens to be around for a few weeks but sounds like you won't have that problem.

Back