I pitched a champaign & ale together....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't a question for once from me. I made a high gravity porter (don't ask). Anyways I was told to pitch the champaign & ale yeast together. I am guilty of taste testing my beer whenever I take a gravity. Well my first couple taste tests you could basically only taste the work the champaign yeast did, and it tasted like hot garbage. Now that it's a week into secondary, I took another gravity and I must say the beer is coming around. It now just takes like a warm dark wort and the fruity taste of apple core sitting in a garbage can for a week is gone.

Yet another fine example of why brewing is 100% patience.

first off, many around here encourage tasting you gravity samples, some think it should be a required step !

I am a bit lost as to you being told to pitch 2 yeasts ? who did this ? and what yeasts did you use ?

8.5-9% is not out of the realm of many ale yeasts, even some dry ale yeasts will perform to this level

I would also like to see what you have for a recipe on this brew

thanks

-Jason

yeah, I don't know who told you to use champagne yeast on an ale, but they wuz wrongo-dongo. Not the right flavor profile, not at all...though it will still be beer. If you want a high-alcohol beer, then use an alcohol-tolerant strain. For the really extreme 12%+ beers, use the white labs Super High Gravity strain. But at 8.5%, there are very few, if any, ale yeasts that couldn't have handled that alone. Most ale yeasts can handle 10% or more. I have seen Nottingham handle upwards of 12%.

Back