New hydrometer innaccurate by 0.010!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the temperature adjusted error in your hydrometer?

• error > -0.002

• -0.002 <= error < 0.000

• no error, hyrdometer reads 1.000 @ 60F

• 0.000 <= error < 0.002

• 0.002 <= error < 0.004

• 0.004 <= error < 0.006

• 0.006 <= error < 0.008

• 0.008 <= error < 0.010

• error >= 0.010

Results are only viewable after voting.

KBentley57

Reaction score
I finally broke my first hydrometer a few days ago, so I picked up two new hydrometers at the LHBS. I was calibrating them today in tap water, at about 78F, and after adjusting for the temperature, one of the hydrometers is off a full 0.010! That's a lot of erm, error. The actual reading was 1.080, so I used the paper included and added ~ 0.002 points to adjust. The other wasn't off by much, after adjusting it for temperature, it has an error of only 0.003. both readings are high.

I'm using the most accurate one for now, and probably will not fuss over the 0.003 correction too much. But man, 0.010? If I hadn't checked, I would have been pretty screwed.

In light of that, I was wondering if we could make a histogram of the error of our hydrometers. I mean, surely we'll be able to get a good sample size of at least a few hundred on a site that requires each member to have one! If the poll option looks funny, I understand. I mean it to say "my hydrometer reads low by 0.003".

edit: it seems that we can only vote once. Oh well. Choose whichever one you wish, if you have more than one. We should still be able to get reasonable statistics.

Just posting here to throw the thread to the top again. It took me a while to think about the poll options, by that time the post probably looked pretty bare.

Check it in distilled water at the calibration temp. If it is still off, return it to LHBS. Take some distilled water with you and test the replacement hydrometer before you leave the store.

FWIW, I love my new refractometer.

Hope you plan on taking the worst one back! I always keep two on hand for a sanity check as well, and number them with calibration correction for each.
Currently: #1 = -.001, #2 = +.001

Just an FYI - I've found temp corrections over about 10deg over cal to be fairly inaccurate. This being said, you would think it would be close to the same amount (right or wrong) for the two hydrometers.....

Hope you plan on taking the worst one back! I always keep two on hand for a sanity check as well, and number them with calibration correction for each.
Currently: #1 = -.001, #2 = +.001

Just an FYI - I've found temp corrections over about 10deg over cal to be fairly inaccurate. This being said, you would think it would be close to the same amount (right or wrong) for the two hydrometers.....

Don't forget to choose a poll option for either one!

Also, I just checked it again with some bottled water that I'd put in the fride about an hour ago. It's certainly cooler than 80F, and warmer than 50F, and it's still off by about the same amount.

Check it in distilled water at the calibration temp. If it is still off, return it to LHBS. Take some distilled water with you and test the replacement hydrometer before you leave the store.

FWIW, I love my new refractometer.

Thinking about picking up a refractometer soon. Which one do you have, and how close does it get you to your hydrometer readings?

Back