BMC...the switch-a-roo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
Saw it with my own two eyes... Wife and I were in Chicago over the weekend at Timothy O'Toole's Pub and bartender goes to pull a pint of Miller Lite for some poor sap. Keg goes empty and he calmly walks over to the Coors tap and finishes filling the glass. I start laughing hysterically and he and I make eye contact and share a chuckle. My wife looks on in horror then asks me, "Did he just mix..." I stop her mid-sentence and explain. It was priceless. And before homebrewing and this website I probably would have been as disgusted as my better half. Too funny...

Great story! :mug: So did the customer notice? That is the million dollar question....

I love it...I bet the drinker had no clue.

This reminds me of a little challenge my friend and I did. We did a blind taste test of bud lite, miller lite and coors lite. We did 3 rounds of blind tasting and were wrong far more than right. Every time we thought we were able to detect a certain quality when we went to the next round and thought we picked it up again it ended up being a different beer. Also, on a different occasion we did a coors lite vs keystone lite and we decided that we're pretty sure Coors just packs the same beer into the two different cans and sells one for more money.

Saw it with my own two eyes... Wife and I were in Chicago over the weekend at Timothy O'Toole's Pub and bartender goes to pull a pint of Miller Lite for some poor sap. Keg goes empty and he calmly walks over to the Coors tap and finishes filling the glass. I start laughing hysterically and he and I make eye contact and share a chuckle. My wife looks on in horror then asks me, "Did he just mix..." I stop her mid-sentence and explain. It was priceless. And before homebrewing and this website I probably would have been as disgusted as my better half. Too funny...

I would have found that acceptable given the circumstance but I guess not checking with the guy first not cool. So yeah, they are similar styles of beer so that mixing some in would have not really altered the taste much, but to me Coors Lite has more of a tinny taste, like the can. Probably could top off a lot of beers with a similar style beer and not notice much.

I used to mix Sam Adams with natural light to get some extra miles out of it, not bad.

Funny but still not right to do. You have to wonder how many places water down the beers with others. Wasn't it last year that some places got raided and shut down for selling busch as each of the BMC drafts?

This reminds me of a little challenge my friend and I did. We did a blind taste test of bud lite, miller lite and coors lite. We did 3 rounds of blind tasting and were wrong far more than right. Every time we thought we were able to detect a certain quality when we went to the next round and thought we picked it up again it ended up being a different beer. Also, on a different occasion we did a coors lite vs keystone lite and we decided that we're pretty sure Coors just packs the same beer into the two different cans and sells one for more money.

I've only had coors a few times but telling bud from miller apart I can do. For some reason bud leaves a tingling crapness sensation on my tongue. Doesn't matter if it's light or regular.

There are a lot of Belgian style beers out there (coriander and orange peel) I bet a lot of people would have a hard time telling apart because they are trying for the same result as BMC are, to brew a specific taste.

Anyone seen the film "Beer Wars"? The filmmaker staged a taste test in a bar, asking committed CL, BL and ML drinkers to taste and choose theirs. Although the drinkers stated that they strongly preferred their own beer, they couldn't, by and large, tell the difference.

Semi-OT...

I swear, only in PA could you get something so lame as the "Blue Collar Black and Tan." It's PBR and Guiness...talk about 2 opposites!

About halfway through the glass they've been fully mixed and my roommate (who drank it because I paid for it) turns to me and says "I think I found the secret recipe for Yuengling Lager."

Low and behold a few sips of taste testing, it was nearly exact.

I'm almost sure that Guiness is so expensive because Yuengling is buying up large quantities of this stuff and mixing it with PBR and reselling it.

I told the bartender to do exactly that when the Miller Lite blew..."just finish with Coors....who will know the difference...." Looked at me with a stare. I didn't see the difference...nor would the customer.

they tried that **** with me once - topped off a budlight with Coors light. I didn't see 'em do it, but I could taste it.

I told the bartender I prefer my light american lagers with rice adjunct, not corn.

Great story! :mug: So did the customer notice? That is the million dollar question....

Our view of the customer was blocked. We were at the bar and the beer looked to be going to someone at a table. Not sure what happened but it was a solid 20-30 mins before they had the Miller Lite keg back online so I'm guessing the customer never questionned it.

I was at a BW3 the other day and a guy at the bar a few seats away told the bartender that his Coors lite didn't taste right compared to the bottle of it he just drank at the golf course. The bartender checked the keg and it was a new one, so it wasn't that is was old or nearly emplty.

They have probably changed recipes or blended it differently now that they have merged. I used to be a huge Miller Lite drinker, before my tastebuds developed fully, and I swear there was a 3 month stint where I couldn't drink their beer. Something was wrong with it; possibly a huge batch gone bad, but sold anyway or they cut some corners. It was shortly after they were bought up by SAB. A few of my friends said the same thing and we switched to other brands for a while.

I was at a BW3 the other day and a guy at the bar a few seats away told the bartender that his Coors lite didn't taste right compared to the bottle of it he just drank at the golf course. The bartender checked the keg and it was a new one, so it wasn't that is was old or nearly emplty.

They have probably changed recipes or blended it differently now that they have merged. I used to be a huge Miller Lite drinker, before my tastebuds developed fully, and I swear there was a 3 month stint where I couldn't drink their beer. Something was wrong with it; possibly a huge batch gone bad, but sold anyway or they cut some corners. It was shortly after they were bought up by SAB. A few of my friends said the same thing and we switched to other brands for a while.

Looking at your avitar can I be invited to your next party? Please! Please!

Also, on a different occasion we did a coors lite vs keystone lite and we decided that we're pretty sure Coors just packs the same beer into the two different cans and sells one for more money.

I don't know about coors/keystone, but I went on a non-public Anheuser Busch tour at one of their plants with an engineering school group I was in charge of. The plant had a few graduates from our program, and we had a Q&A with that plant's master brewer. They mentioned their quality control procedure, and someone asked what happens when something doesn't meet their standards. They responded that they sell it as one of their "non-premium brands". Asked what that meant, they said "Natural lite or natural ice".

Yes, I said plant, not brewery, cause that's how I view it.

Here's a secret picture from within one of the BMC beer plants.

duff-beer.jpg

I don't know about coors/keystone, but I went on a non-public Anheuser Busch tour at one of their plants with an engineering school group I was in charge of. The plant had a few graduates from our program, and we had a Q&A with that plant's master brewer. They mentioned their quality control procedure, and someone asked what happens when something doesn't meet their standards. They responded that they sell it as one of their "non-premium brands". Asked what that meant, they said "Natural lite or natural ice".

Yes, I said plant, not brewery, cause that's how I view it.

Are you sure the question and answer were not confused? I have been drinking Natural Light for as long as it has been in existence probably and I never had it change taste, it is always consistent. I don't believe a bad batch of Bud would wind up being sold as Natural Light. Where is the quality control there? Natural Light is a huge selling beer and I doubt they would intentionally risk screwing it up. Maybe the recipe gets sold as a non-premium beer line?

I don't believe a bad batch of Bud would wind up being sold as Natural Light. Where is the quality control there?

I agree, it's unlikely; A-B Inbev has one of the strongest quality control systems in the business. I've heard other rumors like this, including this one from Snopes:

"Keystone Light is the exact same beer as Coors Light, it's just that the cans have been rejected by Coors because they've been dented."

The other day I got 3/4 s of a Four Peaks ESB right as the keg blew and got it no charge. Went to a Homebrew meeting and then to Taste of Tops afterward wherein I got 3/4 of a Festina de Peche for free.

Luck day!

That's how you're supposed to do it. Give it for free,

I agree, it's unlikely; A-B Inbev has one of the strongest quality control systems in the business. I've heard other rumors like this, including this one from Snopes:

"Keystone Light is the exact same beer as Coors Light, it's just that the cans have been rejected by Coors because they've been dented."

You know what? EVERY single can of Keystone Light I have EVER purchased had a dent. :cross:

The other day I got 3/4 s of a Four Peaks ESB right as the keg blew and got it no charge. Went to a Homebrew meeting and then to Taste of Tops afterward wherein I got 3/4 of a Festina de Peche for free.

Luck day!

That's how you're supposed to do it. Give it for free,

I got a 120 minute and a Golden Monkey for free on the same night in the great state of Delaware. It was at a bar where they didn't know me. I guess the bartender thought I was inconvenienced because I ordered two beers in a row they were out of and so I deserved a $6 Golden Monkey and whatever the heck 120 minute goes for on draught in return.

Also, on a different occasion we did a coors lite vs keystone lite and we decided that we're pretty sure Coors just packs the same beer into the two different cans and sells one for more money.

Went to college with an older dude who was an engineer for Coors in the early 90's. He would tell anyone who would listen that they would pour Coors and Keystone straight from the same tanks. The company knew how to maximize profits in a given quarter by selling more of one or the other, but it was all the same "beer".

Also, he said that 90+% of the research money there went into figuring out how to get the aluminum cans as thin and inexpensive as possible, instead of doing anything with the actual beer itself.

This sorta reminds me of going to a bar with a few $$ in my pocket and ordering a Natural Light (yes i was that broke) on draught. It tasted like vinegar so strongly that i couldn't drink it. I sent it back and ordered a diet coke instead. Then some loser came in and sat at the table next to us, ordered a nattie light and happily chugged it down.

And as a side note to an earlier post - I have never received the correct beer at a BW3. I ordered a SNPA the last two times I went. The first time I received a PBR and the next time I received a SN Summerfest. Which would've been good if I had known what it was and had actually ordered it. Either they thought I wouldn't notice or wouldn't say anything.

last time i was at bw3 (gift card), i ordered the one beer they had that i could stomach=newcastle. got a michelob amber bock instead. not pleased, but not surprised either.

Back