Heineken: Official Olympic Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they wanted the official beer to be British, then a British Company could have ponied up the $$ to own the official beer of the Olympics for 2012.
That doesn't stop a politician from grandstanding and complaining that "It's not fair"

It's because of Heineken There's no more McEwan's scotch ale in North America; apparently, we're just "not economically viable." Heineken can kiss my hiney.

If they wanted the official beer to be British, then a British Company could have ponied up the $$ to own the official beer of the Olympics for 2012.
That doesn't stop a politician from grandstanding and complaining that "It's not fair"

This.
Although, Heineken owns New Castle. Which is the only British Beer I would think with almost enough strength and $$$ to actually sponsor the Olympics. I don't see Samuel Smith or Wychwood with that type of money.

And as Bass is owned by InBev, even that wouldn't have really worked out for Britain.

Besides, why are they complaining. I thought the English don't like beer, wasn't it banned at the royal wedding. That's about as English an event you can get. I say they brought it upon themselves.

I guess SAB Miller could have stepped up, they are now based out of London. But what are they going to promote? I'm sure Miller Genuine Draft would have gone over well.

I would be curious how the bidding process worked. The British gov could have "subsidized" a major British brewing company to win the bid.

As it is, I'm not surprised to see a whining politician. lol

Back