HULU/HULU Plus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Really tempted to try this.

I have taken the plunge and dropped cable.

I LOVE Netflix streaming (for home and on the droid, netflix is a DEAL at 7.99/mo)

Thinking about adding HULU plus to stream through the wii.

All I really would care about are History channel, Discovery channel, cooking channel, comedy central, and a few others.

Any thoughts?

They have a free trial, just haven't bitten yet.

Hulu is to series TV what Netflix is to recent classic movies.

If you like series TV, then you will prolly enjoy Hulu and see the value.

You are one of the few people I have "known" that see's any personal value in the Netflix streaming catalogue.

For me, it keeps the cable bill off and provides programming for my kids. I rarely ever use it otherwise.

I am a horror and independant FANATIC.

The amount of good horror is staggering, and the amount of independant and good comedies keeps me away from redbox and cable.

I am a horror and independant FANATIC.

The amount of good horror is staggering, and the amount of independant and good comedies keeps me away from redbox and cable.

$250 a month keeps me away from cable. (Yes, my bill was that high every month).

I am too lazy for RedBox.

I did the free trial.

I don't use any sort of ad block but it kept giving me ad block messages.

I contacted their Tech supports after clearing cookies. They told me to clear cookies and sign back in.

So I did it again.

I sent them a message when it continued and it was more or less just a "Sorry".

I use a Roku box and Hulu for TV series' and Amazon for all else plus Kid shows and I get over-the-air digital broad cast TV( since I'm a amazon prime member there is a lot of free tv and movies and a lot of it is the same stuff the basic Netflix sub would get you only for less money and I get free 2nd day shipping on all my orders)

It's slightly less cool without ESPN or whatever but I am VERY happy to tell the blood-sucking cable company to eff-off!

I do live in fear that they will eventually bone me for the data rates though because they are the only game in town for broad band.

I use a server on my computer called "playon".. It has scrips you can go through and pick what you want.. It will serve anything that uses upnp protocol.. One script I like is tvlinks.. Everything you can think of is on there.. Just finished the whole series of "east bound and down" from hbo... Oh, history and discovery have there scrips too and alot more :)

I use a server on my computer called "playon".. It has scrips you can go through and pick what you want.. It will serve anything that uses upnp protocol.. One script I like is tvlinks.. Everything you can think of is on there.. Just finished the whole series of "east bound and down" from hbo... Oh, history and discovery have there scrips too and alot more :)

I tried PlayOn. Too many scripts were broken or iffy on whether or not they'd work.

Has that changed?

Never had luck with PlayOn. Might try again in a few months. I bought the lifetime after all.

We've been NetFlix and Hulu+ only since April 2011. Works for us just fine and we're saving $80/month from our old cable bill. We don't care about news or sports and aren't ones to get hung up on particular shows. Netflix mostly supplies the kid with his toons and we watch a couple series on Hulu+ Not much though. It's cut our TV time down, which is another plus. We use a Roku box in the living room, Wii in our bedroom and the Xbox in the basement. Soon to buy another Roku so we can take the wii back downstairs and actually play it.

I did the free trial.

I don't use any sort of ad block but it kept giving me ad block messages.

I contacted their Tech supports after clearing cookies. They told me to clear cookies and sign back in.

So I did it again.

I sent them a message when it continued and it was more or less just a "Sorry".

I had this issue as well. The fix for me was to allow the browser to keep browsing history.

Never had luck with PlayOn. Might try again in a few months. I bought the lifetime after all.

We've been NetFlix and Hulu+ only since April 2011. Works for us just fine and we're saving $80/month from our old cable bill. We don't care about news or sports and aren't ones to get hung up on particular shows. Netflix mostly supplies the kid with his toons and we watch a couple series on Hulu+ Not much though. It's cut our TV time down, which is another plus. We use a Roku box in the living room, Wii in our bedroom and the Xbox in the basement. Soon to buy another Roku so we can take the wii back downstairs and actually play it.

I thought you just spent hundreds getting that wee put in the basement?

GilaMinumBeer said:
I tried PlayOn. Too many scripts were broken or iffy on whether or not they'd work.

Has that changed?
some are not maintained very good but some work very well.. For the longest time tvlinks movies didn't work but they fixed it and i watched 21 jumpstreet on sunday.. Seem when I got more than 4 devices (kids got boxes in there rooms) running it gets a little jumpy but my kids dont mind too much.. Can't get the oldest off the anime script and alot of that is very inappropriate for her age so I use the ratings filter on the server.. But some scripts are hit and miss like some of the sports ones that are almost real time for any football game.. I find that I check for server updates every couple days because it doesn't do it automatically..

some are not maintained very good but some work very well.. For the longest time tvlinks movies didn't work but they fixed it and i watched 21 jumpstreet on sunday.. Seem when I got more than 4 devices (kids got boxes in there rooms) running it gets a little jumpy but my kids dont mind too much.. Can't get the oldest off the anime script and alot of that is very inappropriate for her age so I use the ratings filter on the server.. But some scripts are hit and miss like some of the sports ones that are almost real time for any football game.. I find that I check for server updates every couple days because it doesn't do it automatically..

Okay then. So, nothing has changed then. :D

This is the only drawback to IPTV. Relies on proper links and some networks change the link addresses frequently.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Okay then. So, nothing has changed then. :D

This is the only drawback to IPTV. Relies on proper links and some networks change the link addresses frequently.

Yeah, basically.. It does do a good job at linking the youtube, podcast,netflix, amazon, hulu, etc, accounts to a device that normally can't play thoes.. I did get the playlater script that records everything you can get even netflix which is a nono :)

Interesting.

For example, it loads to the Roku like a channel through the server on your PC where you've installed the individual scripts for content.

IIRC, it does this on Wii too.

If you use Google Chrome, there is a pretty simple script generator (point and click) for you to write your own scripts for content. Works pretty well. So long as where you are pointing the script doesn't change.

GilaMinumBeer said:
PlayOn, IIRC, has scripts for several devices so that it can stream directly to a device. For example, Wii, Roku, etc....

To add to that, I have 200+ movies/tv series that are in ISO containers with all menus, extra content,ect, and playon will stream the main title using VLC so that was a big improvement over a year ago. My other movies are just avi and never had problems :mug:

To add to that, I have 200+ movies/tv series that are in ISO containers with all menus, extra content,ect, and playon will stream the main title using VLC so that was a big improvement over a year ago. My other movies are just avi and never had problems :mug:

I like that VLC will play just about any container format. I did not like how buggy it's on the fly transcodes were to Roku. Perhaps that has changed.

GilaMinumBeer said:
I like that VLC will play just about any container format. I did not like how buggy it's on the fly transcodes were to Roku. Perhaps that has changed.

I haven't had any issues yet with playing any content off the hd's and I constantly watch my movies on my phone now that they have a app for android and the resolution not bad going to a bigger tv with the mini hdmi..

Searching under Walking Dead for Season 2 results in 6 web exclusive "webisodes". But, run time only shows 2 to 5 minutes. So, I think they are just teasers.

THANKS!! Can't even search anything streaming from work.

Resolution is what I had a problem with on Playon. It was never up to par with a standard 480 tv despite my PlayOn settings. :drunk:

The resolution on the netflix is definitely not top notch.

I got the free trial of Hulu Plus and am using it through my Xbox. It is AWESOME! I bought a $20 microsoft Xbox Tv Remote, much easier than using the video game controller.

I am looking at getting a Blu Ray player with Wifi built in so I can use it to watch Hulu and Netflix in another room without having to pay for 2 separate Xbox live Gold accounts.

My bro in law uses a Wifi Blu Ray player and it is great. You can get them for $60-100 and don't have to pay for a monthly subscription to access the internet like I do on my Xbox.

I got the free trial of Hulu Plus and am using it through my Xbox. It is AWESOME! I bought a $20 microsoft Xbox Tv Remote, much easier than using the video game controller.

What do you like about Hulu?

The wiimote is better than my tv remote ;)

cheezydemon3 said:
What do you like about Hulu?

The wiimote is better than my tv remote ;)

Hulu plus has entire seasons stored. Hulu only has the previous few episodes.

It is nice being able to watch entire seasons and there are a lot of good shows I never watched but found on Hulu Plus.

The only shows I really miss are Deadliest Catch and some shows on USA network.

You should look on their website, you can search for shows and networks that are included.

dallasdb said:
Hulu plus has entire seasons stored. Hulu only has the previous few episodes.

It is nice being able to watch entire seasons and there are a lot of good shows I never watched but found on Hulu Plus.

The only shows I really miss are Deadliest Catch and some shows on USA network.

You should look on their website, you can search for shows and networks that are included.

thanks!

I have a love hate relationship with Hulu Plus, at least when streaming to my TV with my Roku. The one thing I have found sort of annoying is that there are some shows that Hulu states that "We currently don't have the rights to make this show available on your TV or mobile devices". Some shows that I would really like to watch through my Roku I am forced to watch on my laptop if I really want to watch them (particularly some stuff on A&E, Food Network, USA to think of a few networks).

With that being said at $7.99/month I can't really complain as somehow I can always find something to watch. Between my Roku and HuluPlus I can't say I miss the huge monthly cable/satellite bill.

Indianhead_Brewer said:
I have a love hate relationship with Hulu Plus, at least when streaming to my TV with my Roku. The one thing I have found sort of annoying is that there are some shows that Hulu states that "We currently don't have the rights to make this show available on your TV or mobile devices". Some shows that I would really like to watch through my Roku I am forced to watch on my laptop if I really want to watch them (particularly some stuff on A&E, Food Network, USA to think of a few networks).

With that being said at $7.99/month I can't really complain as somehow I can always find something to watch. Between my Roku and HuluPlus I can't say I miss the huge monthly cable/satellite bill.

why don't you just hook your laptop up to your TV, like a giant monitor. If you have a nice enough laptop you can even HDMI hookup. Thats what I currently do with my netflix streaming.

Back