Primary Fermentation Infection(?) Pict

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlumbard

Reaction score
Can someone calm my nerves?:cross::drunk: I'm going away for the weekend to camp and I just opened the primary on my second batch of hoembrew. I was planning on taking a gravity reading but this scared me away. I think I read somewhere that these colors are normal but I have no idea really. It's only 1 week into fermenting. First try in my SOFC set to 65*.

3553079954_9560207339_b.jpg

wont hurt to taste it.

Looks a touch different from my fermentations, but I bet your fine.

Honestly that looks normal and should settle out if you leave it. If it doesnt, then just rack below it and take a sample. Ive had beers that looked similar to that and came out downright YUMMMMMY!

You should be just fine! (Fermentation is an ugly process that yields amazing results)
-Me

I thought a krausen made something like this, from my first batch: Where's the foam?!

3515692746_7e95043741.jpg

Every beer and every krausen is different. Some are big some are small.

Just learn to love each of them exactly the way they are.

Every beer and every krausen is different. Some are big some are small.

Just learn to love each of them exactly the way they are.

+1 to this :mug:

Something to remember is that with yeasties, you are dealing with living creatures...every fermentation is different...you can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....

I've found that you should never assume anything where the yeasties are concerned except that they are in charge...not us...and they've been doing this beer making stuff for 5, 000 years...so basicially we just need to trust them, and not bug them...and give them plenty of time, and they will make us very very happy.

Relax..It's really hard for your beer not to turn out.......it surprises us and manages to survive despite what we do to it...

I want you to read these threads and see..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

And this thread to show you how often even a beer we thnk is ruined, ends up being the best beer you ever made, if you have patience....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Revvy needs to change is username to something like Revvy(CP)
For 'Cut and Paste' :)

Your infinite wisdom has been discussed so many times, and well, cut and pasted by yours truly on more than one occasion.

Note to the brewnoob - Looking at Revvys profile should be mandatory due to the articles and tips he has posted. I still to this day reflect on lots of his writings/teachings.
-Me

Revvy needs to change is username to something like Revvy(CP)
For 'Cut and Paste' :)

Your infinite wisdom has been discussed so many times, and well, cut and pasted by yours truly on more than one occasion.

Note to the brewnoob - Looking at Revvys profile should be mandatory due to the articles and tips he has posted. I still to this day reflect on lots of his writings/teachings.
-Me

*blushes*

THanks, My Brew Brother!!!! :mug:

So it's been a week and my gravity is around 1.04-1.035. Seems a little slow maybe? still bubbling away though so I guess it's working. Oh, and I tasted it and it didn't taste like **** so my infection worries are gone.

Back