Cleaning SS fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So i just got a new 24qt SS pot that I'm going to use as a Secondary.($42 from Austin Homebrew) Anyhow, it's in need of a good cleaning before I use it. It seems BKF is the way to go for cleaning SS but I don't have any, and the LHBS doesn't carry it. I've already sprayed it with Drainboard Cleaner and have gotten a fair of this black film off, but I want to be sure it is spotless before I rack anything into it. I'm thinking I might either put it in the dishwashwer or boil in it for a bit, then let it soak in Iodophor for 10-20 mins.

Any suggestions? Thanks:mug:

You should be able to get Bar Keepers Friend at your local grocery store in the cleanser aisle. It comes in liquid and powder form.

Soaking with hot water and 5 Star Powdered Brewery Wash is good too.

You should be able to get Bar Keepers Friend at your local grocery store in the cleanser aisle. It comes in liquid and powder form.

Soaking with hot water and 5 Star Powdered Brewery Wash is good too.

Thanks Ed, didn't know the grocery store would carry it. I'll keep an eye out next time.:mug:

I had great success cleaning a SS pot w/ BKF. Came out like new! Nothing else seemed to work on the brownish haze on the inside of the pot. However, BKF is more like a polish / cleaner and leaves a bit of an odor IME. I actually washed the pot w/ Oxi Clean afer the BKF prior to using it. For a new pot, I would think a cleaner would be more appropriate. PBW, oxiclean, automatic dish detergent, just rinse well w/ hot water.

Back