My First... Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
3211549974_86fa5dba9b_o.jpg

I have never designed a beer label before, so this is my first attempt. I brewed a Marzen/Oktoberfest so I sorta wanted the label to have a German theme. The photograph is of a tuba player in an oom-pah band that plays at our local Oktoberfest festival every year. If you were doing this label, what would you add, change, delete, or how quickly would you press the delete key on it?

First off, I like it. Simple and clean. Some small things I'd change:

I'd stay away from the "gothic font". Its hard to read. Maybe keep it for the first letters (J and M). Maybe take away the 3d effect on the website at the bottom too. I'd also go slightly lighter on the text so it contrasts more.

I think the words "Ein Prosit" have to be somewhere on that label...but maybe because the last time I heard an oompah band all I heard was that song for 4 hours...

1st off, I like it.

However, for some reason (maybe the border) it strikes me as one of those "motivation" posters.

I like doing fun things to photographs so they're not just a photograph. If you don't have it, try "The Gimp" graphics manipulation package. It's free, and every bit as good as Adobe Photoshop. They have filters that you can apply (like oilify) which make the photo look like a painting, among others. If you look at my gallery, I made my first wine label with it. Not saying that my wine label is a good label, but you'll see an example of the filter.

The second label definitely is easier to read. I like it.

Cheers!

I might add the ABV when I figure out what that will be at bottling time. As for the photo manipulations, I'm not much into that. I'm a professional photographer and I do have the adobe photoshop software. As a photographer, my personal interests in photography are photo-realism, so I tend to stick with that. Nothing against the manipulations though... It's just not my personal mug of beer :)

Back