Is Filtering Worth It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
Been looking into filters now that I'm setting up my kegging stuff. Is it really worth it if you're not taking your beers to competitions? Will the pressure from the CO2 in the keg help settle things out? Do you still have chill haze when you keg?

As always, thanks for all your input!

BREW ON:mug:

I don't filter, and get pretty clear beer. The time it gets in the fridge while it carbonates seemes to do a pretty good job of getting anything that didn't fall out in secondary to settle right out.

It would probably be even clearer with filtering, but I personally don't worry about clarity very much.

edit: To follow that up a bit, I'd say there are other parts of the brewing process you can look at to improve your brew clarity before worrying about filtering, ie> irish moss, faster cooling, longer time in secondary, etc.

I just got a new setup (sabco keggle) to do full wort boils, and I use whirlfloc, which is supposed to be a concentrated version of irish moss. I'm expecting my second wort chiller in the mail today (first one didn't work out so well, so I'm going to use it as a pre-chiller). Haven't been able to figure out the improvement yet, because I've only brewed stouts and witbier since getting the equipment!

I filter. I think it is worth it because I like the clarity I get in the pilsners, IPAs, etc. (beers where you can see it). It makes it seem more professional and people are more apt to drink and enjoy it because it looks like "real" beer instead of turn their nose up at it because there's crap floating in it.

cowain said:
I filter. I think it is worth it because I like the clarity I get in the pilsners, IPAs, etc. (beers where you can see it). It makes it seem more professional and people are more apt to drink and enjoy it because it looks like "real" beer instead of turn their nose up at it because there's crap floating in it.

Can I ask what your setup is? I see really expensive filtering pumps (that seem more likely for wine) and then the hexagonal shaped filter with pads, but requires a pump or forcing the beer out of one keg, through the filter and into another. Is it a messy or overcomplicated process? What am I looking at in terms of money?

Sorry for all the questions.

I filter once in a while. Most of time to clear out hop crud because I keg directly from the primary. My setup is just a household filter with keg connectors. A 1 micron filter will take out just about everything except starch haze (which I've never had) and the smallest yeast cells.

david_42 said:
My setup is just a household filter with keg connectors.

I was looking at this one as well. Does "household" mean that I could get replacement filters at regular household stores?

Kai

Yes it does. I buy mine at Lowe's, but stay away from anything except sediment filters. Activated charcoal will make your homebrew taste like BMC. If I was going to start over, I'd get a mini-filter and add the keg connections myself. The filters are cheaper and less wasted ale.

david_42 said:
If I was going to start over, I'd get a mini-filter and add the keg connections myself. The filters are cheaper and less wasted ale.

I was wondering about that waste too. It must be a pint or even more.

And good to know that you can go to HD for that. HD/Lowes is a different budget item than home brew store ;)

Kai

Actually, I found a trick which cuts the waste. Once the transfer is done, turn the filter upside down and most of the ale in the filter can be forced into the new keg.

Is is necessary to santize a sediment filter as its design isn't for producing sterile flow-through. The filter housing should be easy to santize but I wonder about the actual filter media. By the way, which type have y'all determined to be superior, the woven string or the pleated sheet? My fear is that if I decide to filter a particular batch then simply handling the filter media might introduce some bacteria or other yeast that might turn my beer to funkalicious swill. Any tips? II was also wondering about the mini-filters, where do you find those?
Jeffrey

So what kind of things do you have to get to get a filter setup. Can you get it all at HD/Lowes? Do you need a pump if you are not kegging? And I am assming you put the filter between the primary fermentor (or last fermentation stage) and filter straight into the keg?

Hey SpecialEd, I've never filtered but I can't see how one can filter without a pump unless you're kegging. I'd planned to pick everything up at Lowe's or HD except for the Corny Keg connections. I plan on connecting the filter between 2 kegs and using CO2 pressure to force the beer through the filter. I planned on buying the 2-5 micron filter (either the woven or pleated sheet) and the single cannister setup. For the filter I was looking at this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=149007-43568-WHCFWHSW&lpage=none and for the filter canister I thought maybe this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89376-43568-WHCF-DWHV&lpage=none I believe from what I've read that something like this setup is what others on the forum have used with success. I'm just waiting to hear from someone who has already been there, done that to provide some advice, tips, or suggestions if they had it to do over. Jeffrey

runhard said:
Hey SpecialEd, I've never filtered but I can't see how one can filter without a pump unless you're kegging. I'd planned to pick everything up at Lowe's or HD except for the Corny Keg connections. I plan on connecting the filter between 2 kegs and using CO2 pressure to force the beer through the filter. I planned on buying the 2-5 micron filter (either the woven or pleated sheet) and the single cannister setup. For the filter I was looking at this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=149007-43568-WHCFWHSW&lpage=none and for the filter canister I thought maybe this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89376-43568-WHCF-DWHV&lpage=none I believe from what I've read that something like this setup is what others on the forum have used with success. I'm just waiting to hear from someone who has already been there, done that to provide some advice, tips, or suggestions if they had it to do over. Jeffrey

runhard.....check out the one david42 linked to on the first page. It's complete, cheaper, and ships for free. I'm thinking about getting one. I'm not so worried about haze, but I want to turn my beers around quicker.

Yeah good catch swami not sure how Imissed that lol. I would really like to be able to change the cartridge to use it as a water filter (have been using the one on the fridge, great beer but takes forever). Are there standard sizes forthese filters and are they easily interchangeable?

SpecialEd said:
Yeah good catch swami not sure how Imissed that lol. I would really like to be able to change the cartridge to use it as a water filter (have been using the one on the fridge, great beer but takes forever). Are there standard sizes forthese filters and are they easily interchangeable?

Yep, from what I've seen they're all readily available. Even different filtration levels.

david_42 said:
Actually, I found a trick which cuts the waste. Once the transfer is done, turn the filter upside down and most of the ale in the filter can be forced into the new keg.

The filter link you provided looks like a good solution...is it relatively easy to get that "filter ale" forced into the new keg?

I'm going to be brewing and kegging three batches for my wedding (I've posted twice about it, and I'm just paranoid about these brews turning out REALLY well). Is this something relatively easy that I should be thinking about, or do you think I should wait until after the wedding to dabble with the filter?

Thanks again.

brackbrew said:
Can I ask what your setup is? I see really expensive filtering pumps (that seem more likely for wine) and then the hexagonal shaped filter with pads, but requires a pump or forcing the beer out of one keg, through the filter and into another. Is it a messy or overcomplicated process? What am I looking at in terms of money?

Sorry for all the questions.

Yikes, I forgot about this thread. I have the exact same setup as David_42. It is pretty good. Probably the best part is the ease of getting different filters for it (1 micron for most, 10 micron or so for hefes so you can keep some of the haze, just lose the trub, etc.)

david_42 said:
If I was going to start over, I'd get a mini-filter and add the keg connections myself. The filters are cheaper and less wasted ale.

Do you have a pointer to those mini-filters?

Kai

For those on the board who are attending this years National Homebrew Convention in Orlando, there is a filtering lecture being given by John Peed from Oak Ridge Tennessee. He took gold in last years NHC (category 8, Best Bitter) and filters just about everything he brews. He has some very good insights on filtering and I think it will be a very worthwhile presentation.

Prosit!

Spyk'd said:
Wow, I'm sorry Kai, you bored? ;)

No, I have a beer that I want to serve at a party on Saturday. Since it wasnt at is FG a few weeks ago (it also tasted a little sweet), I decided to rouse the reast and warm it up. That brought the SG closer to its FG, but now it doesn't want to clear up anymore. So I thought I would give filtering a try if I can make a good filter with what I can find at HD/Lowes.

The beer itself tastes fine (not to much yeast taste) but I really would like it to be clearer.

Kai

Ah, I thought we were just feeding the equipment monster!

Maybe david_42 will chime in here. I'd be interested in seeing these mini filters as well.

Also, let us know what you think of the process. I'm thinking about filtering some of my kegs and would like a first hand review if you'd be so kind?

also, for those of you who live in the austin area, stpats moved away from homebrew into winery equipment, and has a closeout on a lot of their old homebrew stuff. this includes the filter housing with fittings for the right size tubing (albeit plastic, but it should work) for 5 dollars. yes. 5 dollars. this does not include the filter, but you can use any household sediment filter. for those not in austin, you would need to purchase at least 40 dollars worth of product in order for them to ship it to you. and honestly, their customer service is not great... so get in, get out, if you can. website: www.stpats.com

Filtering is not needed. It kinda matters on how poor your brewing process is. If you need to filter, then you need to adjust something else in your brewing processes. Mostly yeast has a lot to do with the filteration. Use higher floculation of yeast. If you problem is before the yeast is introduced than perhaps you need to figure out a better way to mash/strain your truub from your keggle(kettle).

Solve the problem at the source, not at the destination. I honestly can say that filtering has stole from my brewing experiance.

peasout ;)

Thanks for your input digdan. I think that was about the most definitive post I can remember reading against filtering. I can't speak for Kaiser, but my beer comes out remarkably clear, so my methods are sound. The reason I'm looking into filtering the beer is get the last bit of yeast out of the beer; you know, the yeast you can't see, but is there? I'm not fixing any problems as I really have none.

As far as needing. No you don't need to filter, but then there are alot of things you don't need in homebrewing.

You don't need a magnetic stir plate, a HERMS system, a HBC, a wort oxygen injection system, a brew scupture, a diffuser, brewing software and spreadsheets, a counterflow chiller, a pump, a glass primary fermenter, or even a hydrometer.

You should probably know that these are things that the typical (and not so typical) homebrewer wants to either make the hobby more enjoyable, easier, or simply to add another toy to play with.

Sometimes you just need to feed the monster! I'm sorry that filtering did not add anything to your experience and I do appreciate your point of view. Brew on!

:mug:

Any advantage to those pleated filters cs the spun ones? Do you guys use the absolute or just nominal filters? I have a household filter system made by rainfresh but they don't sell .5's any more and there 1 micorn is nominal and just doesn't clear it up enough. Mainly I filter when I need a brew after 2weeks and not my normal 4-6 week wait.

Anyone know where I can order the pleated .5 absolutes?

I use only the 1-micron pleated filters at a low preasure (2-3 psi). It takes longer to transfer but will produce a clearer product.

Good luck,
Wild

Back