Bad Cookies: I hate "butter-flavored substance"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
Coupla Labor Day beers, and I decided I needed to make some chocolate chip cookies. Had everything but the butter, but hey, the Smart Balance Buttery Spread label said it was good for "spreading, baking, and cooking." Alright.

NOT!

Crap cookies. Complete crap. Watery batter, crumbly end product. I can't remember the last time I was disappointed by cookies. Maybe it's a first. Dunno.

Smart Balance lies! Lies!

hahaha. SWMBO found that out. They do have Smart Balance that is a mix of 1/2 Smart Balance, 1/2 butter. It DOES work. We went through the same thing, I even hurt her feelings by saying how bad the SB ones were.

Coupla Labor Day beers, and I decided I needed to make some chocolate chip cookies. Had everything but the butter, but hey, the Smart Balance Buttery Spread label said it was good for "spreading, baking, and cooking." Alright.

NOT!

Crap cookies. Complete crap. Watery batter, crumbly end product. I can't remember the last time I was disappointed by cookies. Maybe it's a first. Dunno.

Smart Balance lies! Lies!

Try eating a batch where the baker used salt instead of sugar. :D

Yeah, you need that fat content to hold it together and give it flavor. I love butter and hope I can eat it until I die.:)

Try eating a batch where the baker used salt instead of sugar. :D

I've been that baker! :eek: Actually was a misread of tablespoon vs teaspoon. Anybody for ninja throwing cookies? :D

Also, I've had bad experiences with Splenda when used for baking a cheesecake. I couldn't have made a better souffle' if I tried. Not sure why the Splenda caused my cheesecake to swell like a balloon, but it wasn't good.

Terje

I've always had good luck with Smart Balance. Works great for everything I've done with it. *shrug*

Back