888 RIS Swap ~ Paulthenurse's beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
I sent packages to Professor Frink, Trencher, Shunoshi, and to the leader of our little flock, Brewpastor. There is also a little something extra in there for you guys.

Please be frank and honest, I've got thick skin. I hit my temp a little on the high side so it's a bit sweeter than I think BP planned it. It's been well received around here, however, so I hope you guys enjoy it.

Paul

Pours with a little head that diminishes quickly to a light ring around the edge of the glass. Carbonation level seems perfect for the style. Clean, slightly fruity and caramel aroma, deceptively mild. The flavor kicks in with a thick chocolatey and bready flavor backed by plenty of hop bitterness. The finish is clean and smooth, leaving me begging for another sip.

Overall, this is a wonderful beer! Thanks for sharing!

This was my first 8-8-8 RIS to open up and I was very excited to try it. I'm not a trained critic by any means, but I like to believe homebrewing has opened my palate.

Visual: Oily black. Barely light permeable. Head pours a solid 1/2" of nice tan color. Head reduces quickly to a permanent 1/16" layer.

Aroma: Nice caramel, coffee and chocolate scents.

Taste: Deep roast flavor. Hints of fig, caramel, and chocolate. Nice hop bitterness, finishes light and clean with no discernible alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light for the style. Very smooth and very quaffable; this is a dangerous brew.

Overall: I was very impressed with this beer. My experience in the RIS style is minimal, but this is one of the better samples I've had in the style. Although you said it was created at higher temps and would be sweeter, it was in no way cloyingly sweet. Very good beer; I wish I had more than two bottles!

Well done, Paulthenurse, thanks for the beer! :rockin:

Aroma:
Chocolate, coffee, slight fruit aroma, very pleasing.

Appearance:
Nice dark black color, head was good tan color with excellent retention. Head stayed for the entire session.

Flavor:
Sweet with a little fruitiness upfront with chocolate flavor. Caramel flavor comes on a little later with just the right amount of roastiness at the end. Very clean, wonderful aftertaste. Very little to no alcohol flavor. Hop bitterness without being overpowering.

Mouthfeel:
Carbonation level is right on for the style. Very nice satiny mouthfeel.

Overall:
This is an excellent example of a RIS. Great complexity of flavors without being too roasty and just the right amount of sweetness. Well done!

I'll post a review of the strawberry wine shortly.

Well, I'm not a wine drinker. I can handle the occasional white wine, but if given the choice between it and almost anything else...well, you get the picture.

Now, make a wine out of strawberries? SOLD! I was pleasantly surprised that I loved your strawberry wine, PTN! Light, fruity, and tasted just like I had hoped...like strawberries. ;)

Excellent addition to some outstanding beers. Thanks again!!

Thanks, I'm very happy with that wine. Like you said, it tastes like strawberries. It's slightly sweet but tart. I forget what I ended up backsweetening it to, I think it ended up around 1.5% RS. I've only got a half dozen bottles or so left but I have another 5 gallons in a carboy. I just need to pony up the $$$ for bottles. I've got about 20 cases of wine I need to bottle, and soon. Fall harvest is upon us and I need the carboys and barrels freed up. Crap, I need to work some overtime.
PTN

Back