RIS Fermentation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
Hey all -

I brewed a double batch of RIS on March 15th and have been letting it roll for a month now. I checked it around the 26th and had SGs of 1.040 and 1.034. I'm shooting for 1.021 for both, so I swirled i up and let it sit until yesterday (April 15th), figuring surely that it'd be done. Alas, I had SGs of 1.036 and 1.033 respectively. It tasted fine, rather thick, though (duh), and I was worried about potential bottle bombs down the road.

So my course of action?

I pitched a packet of Safale US-05 into each last night. I haven't checked either yet, so I don't know the status. I was wondering if this was a proper course of action, or will I end up with a very dry, RIS? Specs to follow.

Batch 1
OG - 1.084@73F - after I pitched the Yeast Starter (oops)
SG - 1.034
SG - 1.033 April 15

Batch 2
OG - 1.093@73F - before I pitched the Yeast Starter (I remembered)
SG - 1.040
SG - 1.036 April 15

I used Wyeast 1056, made two, half-gallon starters and pitched one into each brew. A note on the yeast. This was stored in my fridge as one half of a 2 qt. starter that I made for a previous brew. I split this in half and made two, two qt. starters for these batches. I don't know if this could be the culprit, potentially leading to a low cell count which stressed the yeast at such a high OG/alcohol potential.

Thanks for the input.

-Dave

Bike N Brew said:
What was your recipe? It could be done. The RIS extract kit from Midwest, by way of example, shows and OG of 1.082-1.086 and an FG of 1.022-1.035.

Here's the recipe

8 lbs. Extra Light DME
.75 lbs. Pale Malt
.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
1.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.60 lbs. Crystal 120
.75 lbs. Special B
.15 lbs. Black Patent

2.00 oz. Chinook (60 min)
1.00 oz. Cascade (10 min)

Vanilla (still to be determined if its going into the brew. Any thoughts on beans vs. extract would be appreciated.)

Wyeast 1056

OG: 1.088
FG: 1.021
IBUs: 80ish

UPDATE: As of last night the airlocks were floating instead of resting on the tube. I haven't had a chance to check it yet today, but I think that there is fermentation taking place. Just a hunch:rockin: .

All I'm asking of these batches are to get close to 1.024 to 1.026. I'd like to hit the 1.021, but I'm assuming it's not going to happen since it's an extract brew.

Any thoughts?

-Dave

If you are REALLY unhappy with your FG, add some amylase enzyme/beano and give it plenty of time in the secondary so that you are sure you have reached your FG. I don't know how long the half-life of these enzymes is at room temperature, they could go on breaking up complex sugars for a long time and you could end up with a low FG that is too low.

If it were my RIS I would just settle with a high FG this time and try to make a more fermentable wort next time.

svraines said:
If you are REALLY unhappy with your FG, add some amylase enzyme/beano and give it plenty of time in the secondary so that you are sure you have reached your FG. I don't know how long the half-life of these enzymes is at room temperature, they could go on breaking up complex sugars for a long time and you could end up with a low FG that is too low.

If it were my RIS I would just settle with a high FG this time and try to make a more fermentable wort next time.

Thanks for the idea, but I'm really not all that worried about it getting down to my target FG, at least to that extent. I'd like it to be lower than 1.033/1.036 respectively, because I'd hate for them to turn into bottle bombs. That's my real issue. If this additional yeast doesn't knock it down a few points in the next week, then so be it. I'll just go right on ahead with transferring, but I just wanted to make sure I did everything possible before I moved on.

Thanks,
Dave

dude, you're at almost 70% attenuation with 8 lbs of extract. i'd say it is done fermenting or damn close.

with the recipe calculations you should get 87% attenuation??? not gonna happen...their recipe information is incorrect.

I think your math is wrong. The recipe says OG 1.088 and FG 1.021. That is 76% attenuation not 87%, and his current attenuation is 60% and 63%.

ChrisKennedy said:
I think your math is wrong. The recipe says OG 1.088 and FG 1.021. That is 76% attenuation not 87%, and his current attenuation is 60% and 63%.

Same numbers for this guy . . .

I wouldn't be too worried about bottle bombs. I bottled a RIS Chocolet Coffee three weeks ago with a cup of molasses and I have yet to have any thing go off on me. My OG was 1.100 with a FG of 1.036. I think you should be fine.

DeathBrewer said:
ok, :drunk:

sorry about that...you should get down to 1.024 and 1.026 or so before you're reaching 70%

hmm...what DME did you use? do you know the brand?

Sorry, went dark for a couple of days. I used Muntons.

Dale - Ferment Temp was 68ish

Back