Odd Flavor in India Pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cburke501

Reaction score
This is my first brew, so I'm having trouble identifying this flavor. Its not unpleasant, but very strong and somewhat sweet. It's a high grav India Pale Ale, with simcoe hops for the boil and whole cascades for dry hopping.

I also noticed the taste much more subtely in Simcoe IPA by Weyerbacher, if anyones tasted that. Is it just the Simcoe taste that hasn't mellowed out? I popped a bottle only a week after bottling, and really noticed it. since then I've left them alone.

If anyone can offer wisdom I'd appreciate it.

An IPA is a big beer. I wouldn't judge it to harshly until its in bottles for 6-8 weeks. Bigger beers need more time to "come together" if you will.

This may sound strange but in home brews that I made - if I drank it too early after bottling you would taste almost seperately the bitterness of the hops and the sweetness of the malt. It is almost as if they didnt blend together - it has always gone away after a couple more weeks of aging. I dont know if I explained it right but I guess im just saying let it age a little longer and see what happens - im sure it will be fine.

Cheers

hahaha...almost funny...I had this flavor in my IPA as well...its just young...I tasted the best after about 5 weeks in bottle. Thats after it had 2 weeks in secondary also.

Let it set for a while! I noticed when I jumped the gun and started to tear in to it, after about two weeks, I noticed it got REALLY good at that point.

Alot of time, it was half gone, and I wished I would have waited!

AH, I read your post and immediately thought "too young!". Lots of people already beat me to it. I always sample my beers way too early, and they always get better with a few weeks of sitting.

Back