krausen pushed foam stopper out of my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
so i've been starting to use my own slants to make starters and i've stepped up from .25 L to 9 L last night (in a 1 L flask which is probably a bit small to do this job) and when i woke up this morning the starter's krausen pushed the foam stopper right off. Its still resting on the top with a small gap allowing the foam to escape. do you think i should dump this for risk of contamination or is enough gas getting pushed out that i could use something sanitary to push away the extra foam and transfer it to a larger vessel?

I had that happen once, I washed the foam stopper with starsan and sprayed the top of the flask and put it back on, all was fine.
Now I add one drop of foam control to each starter and have no more problems.

SuperiorBrew said:
I had that happen once, I washed the foam stopper with starsan and sprayed the top of the flask and put it back on, all was fine.
Now I add one drop of foam control to each starter and have no more problems.

Foam control? Does Wyeast possibly use that in their Activator packs? I have no evidence of krausen on my last starter which i did with 1010 American Wheat. kind of creep'n me out cause the bag swelled and all...

I've had it happen twice. I now try to leave a bit more head space in the flask, at least 25% open. Gotta get that 4l flask now. Hmmm foam control huh? That sounds interesting.

Dycokac said:
Foam control? Does Wyeast possibly use that in their Activator packs? I have no evidence of krausen on my last starter which i did with 1010 American Wheat. kind of creep'n me out cause the bag swelled and all...
I would not think so.

I was intrigued by the foam control use in starters, so I thought I would try it out on my latest attempt. Unfortunately my LHBS did not have any.

So, I started to investigate FermCap S foam control and found this MSDS: http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/p...ontrol/FermCap S 5D01530 PDS Apr07 Update.pdf

The active ingredient is dimethylpolysiloxane. Turns out dimethylpolysiloxane is the active ingredient in OTC anti-fart tablets and fake boobs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylpolysiloxane

Not having ready access to any fake boobs that weren't already err..... implanted in someone. I went to the medicine cabinet and found some Gas-X. I scraped a minute amount off of one tablet and added it to my starter wort. I boiled it as usual and added the yeast from a smack pack. I knew my smack pack was good as it swelled normally. When I spun up my starter on the stirplate for a day, I got only the slightest hint of foam around the edges and center of the wort. I dumped the starter into the alt I brewed yesterday and this morning it was happily krausening away. So the experiment was a success. The only downside I can see is that when starting with say a tube of White Labs yeast, I won't get a good visual indication of viability. I plan to start ranching and storing small yeast samples, so I'm thinking I will skip the dimethylpolysiloxane for the early step up in order to get a krausen, so I know I have viable yeast.

Back