I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PP, whats the reason for hot packing? Is that because you can and let it sit at room temp for long periods of time.

This whole canning thing is very interesting. Pastuerization, and sterizlation are so much different. The way I read it so far is one is good short term one is better for long term.. And crap.. acidity matters mosts in the longterm. It's all about time and intended use I think.

PP, whats the reason for hot packing? Is that because you can and let it sit at room temp for long periods of time.

This whole canning thing is very interesting. Pastuerization, and sterizlation are so much different. The way I read it so far is one is good short term one is better for long term.. And crap.. acidity matters mosts in the longterm. It's all about time and intended use I think.

Yea, I like to make things in bulk, put them in jars, and leave them in the cabinet instead of the fridge. Some foods need to be raised to 250F with a pressure canner. But other foods, like sauerkraut, are acidic and only require boiling temperatures for processing. This is referred to as hotpacking. That's what I did with my kraut. I just made mustard that way, too. It had vinegar in it, so it was acidic enough to not require the elevated temps. I do meat in jars, but that requires the pressure canner.

PP, one thread or another a fellow was talking about "HomeBrew can poison you", something like that. I saw your comment about checking Wickpedia and the recommendation the OP read it and post back. I thought good idea! So I did some reading.

I don't remember the guys name, think he was from... crap now I forget. Italy? A brewer first caught on to the idea of making food safe. Was it the Germans who put out a $12,000 award for somebody who figured out how to make foods safe for long term travel? I perused the Wickpedia during a break and my retention sucks.

It's fascinating to me, somebody has already figured this stuff all out and I really don't have a clue.

I was looking at canning charts.. you know the ones. Certain foods and what temp and time depending on the volume they were packed in and whether it was a hotpack or not.

Didn't see a single one for canning Wort! Low acidity, probably needs 240-250F, does that include a hotpack or room temp? How long?

I think some of the great minds in the brewing community will rewrite that chart to include temp and time for wort. :D

Wont be me though. I'm just learning of this stuff. Louis Pastuer where are you? :)

This is what I'm going by. As quoted from this site;http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/
" Some people preserve kraut by canning and heat-processing it. This can be done; but so much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?"

Stauff, I'm going to try that method. I just talked to my wife and she's excited about doing this. I told her we'd also make some kimchee. Fun times ahead!

Thank you brother!!!

This is what I'm going by. As quoted from this site;http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/
" Some people preserve kraut by canning and heat-processing it. This can be done; but so much of the power of sauerkraut is its aliveness that I wonder: Why kill it?"

Not sure what "aliveness" is. Sounds a little new-agey.

My wife is not OK with me storing tons of jars of kraut and mustard and turkey in a fridge that's already crowded. Canning is a must.

My wife is not OK with me storing tons of jars of kraut and mustard and turkey in a fridge that's already crowded. Canning is a must.

Sounds like my mom's pantry. She canned a lot of stuff. I wasn't forward thinking enought to ask her how she did it, learn the method. Her pantry was always filled with quart mason jars of dill pickles, butter and bread pickles, tomatoes, jelly and beans .. I guess that's about it. Cupboards always seemed endless though.

Hello! I am one of those posters in this topic that seem to ignore the current conversation and just want to talk about themselves, tell you guys my problems because it's "that time at night". But, I do read enough on here to know that I'm not alone....

It's time to take my life back and stop reacting, just reacting to life's events can take up all your time. I have to be proactive and try my best to ignore the distractions. It makes me so mad that certain people have been able to stop me in my tracks by trying to throw things at me and force me to take all my time reacting. Like a ****ed up dodgeball game.

Wise words LRB. BL. you have definitely had a lions share of difficult challenges in your life. Hang in there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Home Brew mobile app

By "aliveness" they are referring to the fact that it has live culture (like live yeast in bottle conditioned beer), and it is basically a great probiotic. Obviously, by cooking you lose that benefit. I can certainly understand why you would have to can it if you're limited on space, though. I'm lucky that I have a lot of fridge space with my extra beer fridge and my keezer.

Hello! I am one of those posters in this topic that seem to ignore the current conversation and just want to talk about themselves, tell you guys my problems because it's "that time at night". But, I do read enough on here to know that I'm not alone....

It's time to take my life back and stop reacting, just reacting to life's events can take up all your time. I have to be proactive and try my best to ignore the distractions. It makes me so mad that certain people have been able to stop me in my tracks by trying to throw things at me and force me to take all my time reacting. Like a ****ed up dodgeball game.

Hang in there Bobbi. Don't let anybody slow you down!

By "aliveness" they are referring to the fact that it has live culture (like live yeast in bottle conditioned beer), and it is basically a great probiotic.

You're right. Right after I posted that, I though about the potential probiotic benifits. And I really shouldn't complain about fridge space, I do have a 7cuft keezer and a 15 cuft fermentation freezer.

OK, here's a riddle for you guys: what has two thumbs and just roasted his own columbian coffee?

<< This guy!

I just did it about 15 minutes ago. OMG my hands smell awesome!

_mg_7978-62257.jpg

You're right. Right after I posted that, I though about the potential probiotic benifits. And I really shouldn't complain about fridge space, I do have a 7cuft keezer and a 15 cuft fermentation freezer.

OK, here's a riddle for you guys: what has two thumbs and just roasted his own columbian coffee?

<< This guy!

I just did it about 15 minutes ago. OMG my hands smell awesome!

_mg_7978-62257.jpg

I love roasting coffee, and I usually get my beans from sweet Maria's also. What did you use to roast them?

That's an interesting thread. I use a 70's era air popper.

I LOVE coffee in a cup. I big, wide white cup, with rich black coffee. I like the coffee to be very rich, but not bitter. It's elusive, that cup. I found it at a local roaster, and now I'm going (try) to make it at home.

I love coffee in a cup.

Which reminds me of this song. Happy Friday Late Niters! The line at 1:00 is the one I hear when I drink a great coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a standard hot air popcorn popper will work for roasting beans?

I roasted some beans a few times. But they weren't green, they had already been roasted a bit. I wanted darker. I "roasted" them in a cast iron skillet until they smelled roubust and were dark. Not sure they were Starbucks' roast or quality but the coffee was rich, bitter, and black, just the way I like. it.

I roasted some beans a few times. But they weren't green, they had already been roasted a bit. I wanted darker. I "roasted" them in a cast iron skillet until they smelled roubust and were dark. Not sure they were Starbucks' roast or quality but the coffee was rich, bitter, and black, just the way I like. it.

That's how I like my coffee too. French, espresso, and Italian roast are typically my favorites.

I guess I'm boring. I like medium roast coffee. :)

One of these days I'll get around to doing some pickling, making kraut, and possibly kimchi. Not this weekend though. I need to take care of that blackberry wine with the DME I made a while back. That and maybe start a big batch of rice wine. I still need to do another round of Dr. Pepper experiments, and start my rhodemel. I should have started that right after the first frost, but it should still be good.

Of course I've got a million other things to do too. Most of which I'm not going to do. :)

Staufbier, there are several older models that work well. Modern ones have a temp control that foils it. I've had a few homebrews tonight, so I don't want to list models off the top of my head. I believe Sweet Maria's site has a great how- to including which one's work. I think I paid 20 bucks' ish for mine (probably ebay)

Hey PP, have you ever tried roasting malt in that Whirly Pop? Lately I've been buying bulk grains and trying several methods of toasting to get that dark character. My last stout turned out amazing but the results are a little unpredictable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

If you try it please post your results here. I'm tempted to buy one primarily for malt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

2 #10 cans of mandarin oranges in light syrup. 2 cans of water. 3.4 lbs of table sugar. 1 5 gram packet of montrachet yeast. OG 1.080. This should be an interesting one. I'm hoping it finishes between 9-10% so it has some sweetness left. Since a fair amount of the sugar is from a syrup the fruit was packed in, I find this likely. That stuff doesn't usually ferment dry.

Next up, I'm going to pull a sample of the black cherry wine. I haven't like the smells I've been getting from the brew closet the last couple of times I've opened it. I hope it's not vinegar.

DSC_0003.jpg

My black cherry wine is vinegar. On the up side, it's actually really good for vinegar. Still, it wasn't what I was going for.

EDIT: On the upside, the spiced cider right next to it I completely forgot about is perfectly fine.

My black cherry wine is vinegar. On the up side, it's actually really good for vinegar. Still, it wasn't what I was going for.

EDIT: On the upside, the spiced cider right next to it I completely forgot about is perfectly fine.

That's too bad about the black cheery wine. I have a banana wine batch that as I look at it, I see I didn't top off so their is too much air space. Hopefully, there is no bacteria eating the alcohol and 02, making it into banana vinegar.

I just got back from a bike ride. I'm going to grind those beans today and taste test them. I'm enjoying some of the local coffee at the moment.

I made a 1 gallon coffee porter (stout?) lager with these beans (its been lagering about 2 months so far), just because my neighbor have my some dried lager yeast. I hope this smooth bitterness comes through.

Hey all,

Wow that roasting coffee looks cool. I have a few of those air poppers hanging around too. I guess I am obligated to try it now.

I just checked on my apple wine we started sometime last September. This stuff takes a long time to clear but it is finally getting close after nearly 6 months. I may rack it one more time and use some K-C finings soon. We made 20 gallons so I will get 50 bottles after I split with my buddy. I still have the apples in the freezer to make another 20 gallons.

I made my first mozzarella this morning with my son/sous chef. I did not get quite the texture I was shooting for but it tastes great and the kids love it. I think I was a bit timid with heating the curd. I heated it in a brine and was shooting for about 135.

I have been on a huge Asian style soup kick lately. I am going to experiment with some pork, shiitake, daikon, tofu, etc...concoction tonight. I took some ideas from about 10 different recipes I found online. It seems like all my soups turn out pretty good and if they are not so great, a little extra sesame oil does wonders. I am using some pork steaks from our half of last years pig. The kids will most likely not eat the soup so we are going to braise a few steaks with potatoes and carrots for them. I better get started.

Back