Gold Rush - Jungle Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the last shots from last night's episodes really bothered me. Pools of hydraulic oil in the streams of the Guyana claim site. This is supposed to be the Discovery Channel after all....

Parker seems to be doing quite well though.

Yes, because other than that, this type of mining is really environmentally friendly. ;)

Well Toad couldn't find any gold in the jungle so now his next big thing, (game changer) is diamonds? WTF is this guy thinking?

That guy has the worst ADD I've ever seen. Mine here, mine there, mine gold, mine diamonds.... but I have to admit it keeps me watching. I mean he has to find gold somewhere.

Well I am staying in and getting cought up on the gold show tonight. Why the hell didn't Toad just use machines with big giant soft tires; like the swamp logging guys use? I think someone should copy and email him this thread. So he could learn a few things. If he would just start taking our advice he might just find a couple lousy industrial diamonds. That is my rant for the day YaYyyy.

3 Diamonds in three months, at one time I liked watching the show, but now it such a let down. There is nothing positive to watch about the show. I feel depressed after watching or at least really let down that I wasted an hour of my life thinking I was going to be entertained by something. But still nothing, I am going to stop watching the show all together.

I watch as well, although I've missed the last few weeks. Lately it seems like all the new episodes are about the *****ey British producers responsible for shoving this reality TV crap down our collective gullets.

I watch as well, although I've missed the last few weeks. Lately it seems like all the new episodes are about the *****ey British producers responsible for shoving this reality TV crap down our collective gullets.

What's funny is you don't really see the same influx of these style shows when you look at their channels. Yes, these shows do get broadcast over there, but I don't really think there is much of a market for contrived reality shows over there like there is over here.

OK correct if I am wrong, but when I lived in Florida you could dig a hole in the ground and it would fell with water. So I am setting here watch Todd dig a 8 foot deep hole to put his lavatory into? in the middle of the rainy season? Looks like a swimming pool to me.

Ha! I think we all expected that in Season 1. There is no way any of those people are certified to operate their equipment including the excavators.

Ha! I think we all expected that in Season 1. There is no way any of those people are certified to operate their equipment including the excavators.

Without Gene and Mitch/Jim, Parker and the Hoffman's would be screwed. The Dakota's are the only ones who have their act together. Sorta.

Without Gene and Mitch/Jim, Parker and the Hoffman's would be screwed. The Hoffman's are the only ones who have their act together. Sorta.

Err...what? Parker and the Dakota boys are at least mining for gold. I'm not sure what Toad's next big ponzi scheme is going to be after the diamond mining fails. Honestly, the Hoffmans have somehow failed to progress as miners each season and are obviously in it just to bank the Discovery Channel episode checks.

Err...what? Parker and the Dakota boys are at least mining for gold. I'm not sure what Toad's next big ponzi scheme is going to be after the diamond mining fails. Honestly, the Hoffmans have somehow failed to progress as miners each season and are obviously in it just to bank the Discovery Channel episode checks.

Oops. I meant Dakota boys have their act together. :eek:

Gene has saved Parker half a dozen times with fixing stuff or insisting on fixing things a certain way...

Yeah, the Dakota boys do seem to have it together especially on the new claim site. The giant pit that they had dug next to the creek was concerning - I can't believe the Mine Safety Inspection people didn't freak out over that.

Parker is a teenager that has a lot of potential but he definitely needs someone experienced like Gene to help keep the operation running. I hope they give him a good bonus at the end of the season because he has definitely earned it.

Have they said how much the sand-grain-diamonds that Toad has been pulling out are worth?

I had been wondering the same thing. I figured that if they were worth any real money they would be repeating it every 10 seconds, much like they do with the price of gold. So I went looking and found this analysis:

http://starcasm.net/archives/260241

Turns out they are only worth about $144/carat. Their 30 or so diamonds are worth less than $2,200.

Also turns out that their "diamond expert" is just a local tour guide. Knows nothing about diamonds or how to mine them.

I want to know how Todd is getting the money to run this operation? Last season they featured an investor that checked up on him every so often, this year, nothing. Surely Discovery isn't paying him enough to invest $500k in the jungle. Anyone know what the crew makes per episode from Discovery?

Not to spoil the last episode for everyone, but it felt great to see Toad & Co kicked off their jungle claim for ineptitude while also seeing Parker and the Dakota Boy's crews exceeding their season goals. The best scene was when Toad ordered one of his crew to get in the crocodile infested river to move a pump while gleefully laughing that he'd never do that. At least one of his crew had the balls to get in his face after that.

Anyone else watching this season. It's the only trashy reality show that I watch, but I think I'm reaching the end. This season is too obviously scripted that it's getting ridiculous.

Anyone else watching this season. It's the only trashy reality show that I watch, but I think I'm reaching the end. This season is too obviously scripted that it's getting ridiculous.

That's the reason Dakota Fred isn't back. He said something like "if you want me to be a miner, let me mine. If you want me to be an actor, pay me like one."

I've a few episodes DVR'ed, but haven't watched past when Thurber came back.

Is Bearing Sea Gold coming back? I was enjoying the "under the ice" episodes.

They replaced Dakota Fred with Tony Beets who has spent the entire season dangerously taking apart a massive steel structure....

Bering Sea Gold is a much grittier show than Gold Rush, but I just end up feeling bad for the people that they cover. Almost all of them have some sort of psychological or addiction problems. It's better than most of the Alaska crap that Discovery/History are peddling though.

Back