Draft never tasted so good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
I don't have the tower hooked up yet, but I bought a cobra tap for emergencies... Ran all my regulators in succession, and hooked it up. As luck would have it, my brewing partner and the guy who got the two of us interested in homebrew arrived, literally dropped at my door by another friend unannounced, as I was hooking it all up.

I had brewed this session wheat which is the first thing I've ever put in a keg. Seriously, not just the best beer I've ever made, but hands down, the best glass of draft I'll have for a long long time.

Here's the recipe, for anyone interested: (scaled up from my 3 gal. to a standard 5 gal. batch)

Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
ABV: 4.7%

Volume After Boil: 21.58 qts
Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.92 qts

Heat 8.75 qts of water to 140 degF.

Adjust water profile to match that of Westvleteren (BE).

Mashing
4lb 13oz of US 2-Row Malt
4lb 2oz of US White Wheat Malt
2.7 oz of US Carapils Malt
Mash pH should be 5.3.

Allow the temperature to stabilise at 122 degF. Allow to rest at this temperature for 20 minutes.
Raise the temperature to 154 degF by adding 7.29 qts of boiling water and then rest at 154 degF for 30 minutes.
Raise the temperature to 170 degF for 0 minutes and mash out.

Sparge the grains and top up if necessary to obtain 29.88 qts of wort (requires 18.22 qts).

Boiling
Bring the wort to the boil.

Add the following hops at the times given.

28 g of US Willamette (All Of Boil)
Also add the following during the boil.

Boil the wort for a total of 120 minutes.

5 g of Irish Moss
At 'turn off' add the following hops.

14 g of US Perle (organic)
Chill the wort to the appropriate pitching temperature and rack the wort to your fermenter.

Fermentation
The desired volume at pitching is 21.58 qts.

Pitch White Labs WLP300-Hefeweizen Ale and ferment at 75 degF.

If using a secondary, transfer when appropriate.

Rack to a Keg after a week.

Enjoy thoroughly.

kvh

What do you mean "off-the-wall"? Good? Bad? Unusual?? (probably that one).

Granted, I *think* I created it from scratch, but that just means I pieced it together from everyone elses' recipes and added what I like. It turned out completely amazing.

kvh

Back