bulk malt extract storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crown_cres

Reaction score
hi hope someone can help me with this i usually buy my malt extract unhoped for 1.85 pound from my lhbs it comes out of big drums and i usually use it the day i buy it. my question is if i want to keep some extra on hand how long will it store for??? where should i store it??? do i store it at room temp with grains or in my fridge??? any info???

It should store for several months (although it will be fermentable for longer than that). Just keep it in a moisture-free place that's clean and you should be ok.

I'm thinking you mean LME as in liquid. LME is best stored in the unopened can. If LME is in a container that has been opened it will not last long. Maybe a month or 2. It will start to darken and can even grow mold. A fridge might help but not for very long.

Personally I rarely use LME anymore, I use DME until the big jump to AG.

Good luck.

BadKarma said:
I'm thinking you mean LME as in liquid. LME is best stored in the unopened can. If LME is in a container that has been opened it will not last long. Maybe a month or 2. It will start to darken and can even grow mold. A fridge might help but not for very long.

Personally I rarely use LME anymore, I use DME until the big jump to AG.

Good luck.

Even unopened LME has a very limited life. I can't give a specific time but I probably wouldn't use it if it had been around my house more than a month.

thanks for the info ya it is lme and i buy bulk not in the can so it would be in what ever container i bring to my lhbs and he would pour it into that countainer from his big barrels he has of lme

LME lasts a whole lot longer than the fearmongers say. I've been buying 33 pound jugs, storing them in the 60*F basement for several months at a time, and everything is all right.

Don't worry, RDWHAHB!

I have stored it in a fridge for a three or four months at a time and didn't notice anything wrong with the it. Maybe even longer than that. I always hear you shouldn't store it very long, but I haven't had any bad experience. I wouldn't store it for years or anything, but if your a good drive from where you buy it I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy enough for two or three batches.

Back