Lager - Tastes like alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I just took a sample of a beer that I'm currently lagering at 42F. It has been at this temperature for 2 weeks. The sample came in at 1.008 gravity and you could really taste the alcohol. I took the sample from the top of the beer, is it possible that the temperature/sitting still for 2 weeks caused a lot of the alcohol to float on top in my secondary? Or did I just brew an unbalanced beer thats going to taste like alcohol? OG was 1.059 so ABV with 1.008 FG is about 6.8%. I didnt add a lot of hops either because I was going for a oktoberfest. IBUs were 28.

6.8% alcohol beer takes six or more weeks to age and balance out the flavor of the alcohol in my experience...

did the alcohol taste subside with time? I just kegged a batch (about 6.6%) and it tastes like alcohol...just curious if I have to wait longer.
thanks

After it's carbed the alcohol will be less obvious. Still though, that's a high ABV for a lager that isn't balanced with lots of malt and/or hops.

yes it balanced out after about 2 months additional lagering. I would recommend letting it sit in your keg for a while before drinking it.

Back