DFH Raison D'etre EXTRACT recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
Anyone interested in this beer? I love it and have a carboy ferming right now.

The recipe supposedly comes from a brewer from DFH.

7 lbs. Light DME
( I USED Light LME ) ??? think there will be much difference?

8 oz. Dark Munich malt (Steep grains at 165 for 30 min)
4 oz. crystal malt 60 Lovibond
8 oz. chocolate malt
4 oz. Kiln coffee
8 oz. Dark Belgian Candi syrup @ 10 min
4 oz. Beet or Brown sugar
6 oz. raisins (pureed) (I used GOLDEN raisins) 2 cups of wort after boiling 10 min, puree raisins and mix with wort. ADD @10 min.
0.5 oz Warrior pellet hops boil @ 60 min.
0.5 oz. Vanguard pellet hops end of boil
Wyeast Belgian Abbey II yeast

I made a 1 L starter, Then decanted, and made another 1 L starter.

I got no OG nor FG numbers on it. But I got and OG of 1.072

Im drinking a DFH Indian Brown Ale right now YUMMMMM:mug:

here it is 8 28 11 OG of 1.016 3 times in a row, I tasted it , and has all of the flavors I expected. Chilling it overnite, and going to force carb it tomorrow early am. Hope to take a taste later in the day after work around 6:00 pm.......I also have a bottle of the real stuff to do a blindfold taste test! Im thinking its going to be GOOD. should be close to the ABV?

Wow, I forgot to post how well this brew turned out. Soooooo

That should have been "FG" not "OG" in my last reply.

It turned out to be 7.75% ABV, real close to DFH stated ABV of 8%.

I did have some blind taste tests with my friends with a bottle of the DFH brew and my clone.

Mine won, Hands DOWN as better tasting ......Yeaaa

My brew was darker and a little bit thicker, But as far as taste goes,
I think it was Spot On.

If ya like the DFH brew, I would recommend trying this recipe! It kicks AZZ!

Esmitee said:
here it is 8 28 11 OG of 1.016 3 times in a row, I tasted it , and has all of the flavors I expected. Chilling it overnite, and going to force carb it tomorrow early am. Hope to take a taste later in the day after work around 6:00 pm.......I also have a bottle of the real stuff to do a blindfold taste test! Im thinking its going to be GOOD. should be close to the ABV?

How close did it turn out to the real thing. Thinking of brewing this weekend,wanted to know if I should change anything or if you had any tips.

How close did it turn out to the real thing. Thinking of brewing this weekend,wanted to know if I should change anything or if you had any tips.

I'd have to say it's a very close dead ringer except for the color. It is an extract brew, and I only did a 3 gal boil because of my "STOVE TOP conditions".

I would suggest that IF you can, do the full 5 gal boil.
I think thats why my brew came out darker in color.

I really think ALL my brews come out darker cause of the small concentrate of wort? But I have to say, Haven't made a bad tasting one YET LOL

I'm getting a turkey fryer for Xmas to do the full boils. I believe that the brews will come out even better!

If you have any questions specific to this brew, Just go ahead and ask, I 'm, on here everyday LOL I'll tell you what and how I did it.

OH yea, I still have a little bit left. I have to say, That it got even better the longer it has been in the keg! YUMMMMM

:mug:

Esmitee said:
I'd have to say it's a very close dead ringer except for the color. It is an extract brew, and I only did a 3 gal boil because of my "STOVE TOP conditions".

I would suggest that IF you can, do the full 5 gal boil.
I think thats why my brew came out darker in color.

I really think ALL my brews come out darker cause of the small concentrate of wort? But I have to say, Haven't made a bad tasting one YET LOL

I'm getting a turkey fryer for Xmas to do the full boils. I believe that the brews will come out even better!

If you have any questions specific to this brew, Just go ahead and ask, I 'm, on here everyday LOL I'll tell you what and how I did it.

OH yea, I still have a little bit left. I have to say, That it got even better the longer it has been in the keg! YUMMMMM

I'm an extract brewer myself and I only got a 4 gal brew pot I'll try to do a four gal boil and see how it turns out.
I was also considering getting a turkey fryer to do bigger boils let me know how the fryer goes .
Definitely going to brew this soon,I had some dfh raison d'être over the weekend for the first time and I got to say wow!!!
Thanks for the advice

i was also wondering when you add the sugar?Do you add it with the dme or at the end of the boil,or when you add the raisins or at a different time? some clarification we be very much appreciated thank you

I'm an extract brewer myself and I only got a 4 gal brew pot I'll try to do a four gal boil and see how it turns out.
I was also considering getting a turkey fryer to do bigger boils let me know how the fryer goes .
Definitely going to brew this soon,I had some dfh raison d'être over the weekend for the first time and I got to say wow!!!
Thanks for the advice

Hey ABREW, I would not try and do a 4 gal boil, in a 4 gal pot!, Your going to have a boil OVER! I use a 5 Gal pot and have to watch it LIKE ever second!

Now don't that look TASTY.......YUMMMMMMMM

2011-12-09_18-51-38_988.jpg

Esmitee, how long did you leave it in the primary, secondary, and bottles? I just brewed a 5-gal batch based on your recipe, and am really looking forward to it!

Esmitee, how long did you leave it in the primary, secondary, and bottles? I just brewed a 5-gal batch based on your recipe, and am really looking forward to it!

Hello LaatDeMout, I don't secondary at all.
I left it in my primary for 14 days with an average temp of 71*
I keg, so don't know how long it would take to carb and condition.

I forced carbed and 2 days later tasted it. It was great tasting, But got better after a week or two!

One other note I can tell you is OG 1.071, and an FG of 1.016 @ 14 days

If your batch turns out like mine, You'll love it. Good Luck.

BTW, I'm going to try and AG version of this real soon.

New Years Eve day I did an AG of DFH Indian Brown Ale. Oh YEA. UMMMMM

think safbrew t-58 would work ok with this recipe? i have an extra packet laying around, and figured this style would probably work good. also i was thinking of using sugar beet molasses in there.

think safbrew t-58 would work ok with this recipe? i have an extra packet laying around, and figured this style would probably work good. also i was thinking of using sugar beet molasses in there.

Hia, I've never used the t-58, so I really can't comment on that yeast. I think the sub : sugar beet molasses would be great. If ya use them n brew it. Let us know how it turns out.

I've drooled over this thread long enough...3rd day in primary @ 65f.:mug:

I had to make a couple substitutions. WL yeast instead of Wyeast (It's the abbey IV), aromatic instead of kiln coffee, and hallertau instead of vanguard. Other than that, I followed your recipe for the wort, which was delicious by the way, and I got an OG of 1.072. It is also, much darker than the original beer, but I suppose that's to be expected with an extract version.

I'm going to do a 2 stage fermentation and bottle...I'll let you know how it goes.

Question: What are your thoughts on aging this one? I was thinking that with the big body and higher gravity, it might be best to bottle condition for a couple/few months.
Having said that, I'm still new to the hobby, and I'm not set up for cool storage (I do have a small chiller for fermentation). The coolest place in my house is in the mid to upper 70's. Will it ruin it to age that high? I suppose I could move at least a sixer to the fridge and try to keep my grubby paws off of 'em and either take my chances with the rest, or drink them fresh. What do you think?

Hamsterbite, how did it turn out? Any changes you would make? I'm thinking of brewing this weekend.

hardywoodcru said:
Hamsterbite, how did it turn out? Any changes you would make? I'm thinking of brewing this weekend.

It was great. Just kicked a few weeks ago. The bottles were holding up really well, especially considering the lack of cold storage.

Cheers

Please post your AG recipe. I have WLP530 from a Westy 12 clone available, I wonder what that would taste like?

Let me try that once more...

DFH Raison Detre Clone
Method: Extract Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
Boil Time: 60 min Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume) Boil Size: 6 gallons Efficiency: 70% (steeping grains only)
Original Gravity:1.070Final Gravity:1.015ABV (standard):7.2%IBU (tinseth):25.33SRM (morey):32.99
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
7 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light 42 4 77.8%
0.5 lb Belgian Candi Sugar - Dark 38 275 5.6%
0.25 lb Brown Sugar 45 15 2.8%
Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
0.25 lb United Kingdom - Crystal 70L 34 70 2.8%
0.5 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 5.6%
0.25 lb German - Carafa I 32 340 2.8%
0.25 lb Belgian - Aromatic 33 38 2.8%
Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
0.45 oz Warrior 60 min 16 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Domestic Hallertau 0 min 3.9 Leaf/Whole Boil
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Time Type Use
6 oz Pureed golden raisins 10 min Flavor Boil
Yeast
White Labs - Abbey IV Ale Yeast WLP540
Attenuation (avg): 78% Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temperature: 66°F - 72°F Starter: Yes
Priming
Method: Ferm caps Amount: 1/12oz bottle
Notes
Recipe from Homebrewtalk forum member Esmitee.

Substitutions:

Belgian Aromatic for Dark Munich
Crystal (Simpsons) 75 for Crystal (Lovibond) 60
Bamberg Karaffe for Kiln Coffee
WLP540 Abbey 4 for Wyeast Abbey 2
Hallertau for Vanguard

The original DFH AG version is 8% ABV, 25 IBU.

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2013-01-09 04:22 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2012-08-18 19:34 UTC

i brewed this about a year ago. its really starting to come into its own and become quite nice.
But tonite I compared it too Rochefort 10 (since abbey II 1762 is the yeast strain) and St Bernadus Abt 12 since that is one of my fav Belgian Darks. and it fell a little short.
Mine had a lot less body/mouthfeel and had alot less yeast/fruity/plum character then the Rochefort.
In comparision to the St Bernadus it was a little thinner on the body and a little bit less sweet/fruity.

up next i will compare it to D'etre.

Latest posts

Back