Kegs and Carboys in 1 Fridge or Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGlass

Reaction score
Looking for a little insight as I brainstorm a new fridge or freezer setup. Here's the background:

I'm thinking about switching over from bottles to kegs, and will obviously need a fridge or freezer to do that. I'm in an apartment and only have room to bring in a new appliance if I get rid of my current son-of-fermentation chiller. I don't want to start kegging at the expense of not controlling fermentation temps, so I'd like to be able to both ferment a carboy and serve a keg out of the same appliance.

I only have space and money for one appliance (either fridge or freezer), I can't get two fridges or anything like that. I also don't have the time, tools, or knowledge to do many modifications. SWMBO has cleared me for a 2 keg system (and no more), so I'm thinking about a system where I could have 2 kegs on tap, then when one keg is kicked, pull it out and put a carboy in to ferment the next batch. This means I would have either 2 cornys or 1 corny and 1 carboy inside at a time. FWIW, I'd like to be able to fit a 6.5g better bottle.

My thinking right now would be to get a chest freezer, dial it in with a temp controller for serving temp, and then get a ferm wrap (or something similar) to get the carboy up to fermentation temp (let's assume mid 60s for ales). I'd like to get the smallest possible freezer that can fit these needs. I have a couple questions about this:
- Is this even possible (i.e., can I keep the two containers at such different temperatures or will the ferm wrap heat up the ambient temp too much or the ambient temp keep the carboy too cold, etc.)?
- Does anyone foresee any problems with my thinking for this type of setup? Any suggestions for an alternative keeping in mind my limitations?
- Does anyone have this sort of system? Is so, what freezer do you have?
- Are the moisture issues with a chest freezer something I should actually be concerned about, or are they managed easily enough?

I have this same problem, but I had a side by side fridge donated to me so I went with that. My initial idea was to use the freezer side as a serving cooler/ lager fermentation and the fridge side be the ale fermentation side. After looking through numerous threads I found that this was possible but did not allow for the temperature differential that I was looking for.

So, I bought a Ranco temperature controller and I am using the whole fridge as one big unit... i said unit... lol, sorry. Right now I have one corny dispensing a porter (with CO2 tank) on the freezer side and 5 gallons vanilla porter in a 5 gallon carboy and another 4 gallons above the carboy on a shelf.

Get a fridge cheap on craigslist and go to town. I plan to cut the mid section out completely. I will start fermenting in sanke's soon and plan to put two on the fridge side and one dispensing on the freezer side.

Good luck. Hope i helped

Back