What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20130119_203359.jpg

Avery "The Reverend"

vs.

20130119_221438.jpg

Rochefort 10

I honestly expected to enjoy "The Reverend" more and while it was not a bad beer at all, Rochefort is just too tough to beat. The Reverend might have been a tad oxidized too. Enjoyed them both but Rochefort won over my tastebuds in a landslide.

Addendum: If you want to get housework done, laundry included (from the Reverend pic) I highly recommend a high gravity Belgian beer. Those monks knew what they were doing with manual labor/good beer. 1000+ years of drinking tradition and self-sufficiency can't be wrong.

Haputanlas said:
Only if you'll play 'can you spot the gheyest member of homebrewtalk'. :ban: Just Kidding.

You don't have to say you're kidding. He knows what he is. :p

Haputanlas said:
Only if you'll play 'can you spot the gheyest member of homebrewtalk'. :ban: Just Kidding.

But seriously, this is one of the best TRUE session beers out there. At 2.9% ABV, it's hard to find anything with this much character anywhere near that ABV. Dry hopped to the hilt and spends close to 3 months in a tank. The conditioning makes a big difference.

I see a niche for super low ABV beers opening up in the near future. After we've all poisoned our livers with 10% IIPAs, it will be the next big thing. I want to try to make a 1% ABV beer that somehow has flavor and mouthfeel.

I see a niche for super low ABV beers opening up in the near future. After we've all poisoned our livers with 10% IIPAs, it will be the next big thing. I want to try to make a 1% ABV beer that somehow has flavor and mouthfeel.

Im right there with you

A brewing buddy of mine actually brewed what he intended to be a Belgian dubbel with lots malt the first time he tried to mill his own grains. The big dummy ran his mill in the wrong direction and didn't crush a damn thing and lautered an ASTRONOMICAL 2% EFFICIENCY! You know what? The friggin beer actually isn't that bad? It's like a cross between an iced tea and a Newcastle. I think he ended up fermenting it to about 2.5% ABV (1.030~ - 1.006) He gave me 5 gallons worth in bottles and I drink it exclusively on brew day as both a cautionary tale and a crutch to keep myself from getting stupid drunk when I shouldn't.

A brewing buddy of mine actually brewed what he intended to be a Belgian dubbel with lots malt the first time he tried to mill his own grains. The big dummy ran his mill in the wrong direction and didn't crush a damn thing and lautered an ASTRONOMICAL 2% EFFICIENCY! You know what? The friggin beer actually isn't that bad? It's like a cross between an iced tea and a Newcastle. I think he ended up fermenting it to about 2.5% ABV (1.030~ - 1.006) He gave me 5 gallons worth in bottles and I drink it exclusively on brew day as both a cautionary tale and a crutch to keep myself from getting stupid drunk when I shouldn't.

If he didn't crush anything, I'm assuming most of the fermentables came from sugar? I can't see how that wouldn't anything other than rocket fuel.

And I too would like to have a N/A beer (or at least super-session) that doesn't taste like it is. But I have a hard time seeing that happening with a beer below 2% ABV

At 2% efficiency, I'd think it'd be 0.1% ABV.

PhelanKA7 said:

Cool story bro! ;) that's frikkin hilarious :D

If he didn't crush anything, I'm assuming most of the fermentables came from sugar? I can't see how that wouldn't anything other than rocket fuel.

And I too would like to have a N/A beer (or at least super-session) that doesn't taste like it is. But I have a hard time seeing that happening with a beer below 2% ABV

That's just what he told me. I don't know the recipe as I wasn't there when he brewed but it's definitely beer. Very low alcohol beer but beer nonetheless. Like I said it sort of has the character of an iced tea but it has a persistent head and everything you would associate with a properly fermented beverage.

And even though he ran the mill in the wrong direction I imagine he still cracked open enough malt to get SOME sugar.

Qhrumphf said:

The challenge begins.
1lb 6-row
8oz c60
8oz biscuit...

I'm celebrating to night. I just purchased my first home and just moved. First night at the new house I decided to drink a beer out of a paper bag tonight. With an Opus X - Forbidden X lost city.

Cheers! :)

Opus X, a very fine decision sir. Those are quite wonderful

Budweiser Black Crown-not too bad... after 5 session sized beers .Thats discipline.:confused::p;):D Noticing a sweet grainyness it has in general.The name seems fitting to taste as well, Golden amber lager-think about that one. Still has a spicey dry diety aftertaste,maybe they use aspartame. Kidding. Its O.K. to me. Think we all know the meaning of O.K though maybe. OK= its still beer going in my face not down the drain? Grainy-light caramel a bit sweet seems to be the theme of this beer though. After having this though?.. I kinda feel like Id rather have a budweiser. In fact now I think I want a super light beer,think I have a crappy pabst in the back of the fridge still. ONly cuz its my lightest beer I have I think.

image-2508617192.jpg

Nectar Ales Red Nectar. 2010 GABF gold medal winner. Solid red/amber ale, it should be since Nectar is owned by Firestone Walker. Now only if FW would distribute in Florida.

Haputanlas said:
But it has to be 60+ IBUs!!!!
We can do that!
PhelanKA7 said:
Hey, if you're buyin I'm flyin.

That's a good point though. Just enough diastatic power to ferment but a bunch of starch. That must be how Buckler does it
I think it may be a good starting point
WesleyS said:
(Chanting)
Do it, do it, do it, do it!
I want to! I've wanted to for awhile. I would probably mash with 3 gallons of water, not sparge, and then boil the first runnings and top off to get my volume and OG right. It would not be a 5 gallon batch. For my yeast I could probably just dump the dregs out of my bottle of homebrew, even if that was over pitching a little ;)

Magic Hat Pistil. This is a really interesting beer and it's pretty fantastic. I've tried a couple of their mixed 12 packs recently and have really enjoyed all of the beers I've had from them.

Im studying Operations Management, enjoying a Jubelale by Deschutes, and checking HBT... wait, that means I'm not studying! I better get back to the books!

Bigfoot Barley Wine. 2013 bottle. Was planning on aging this 4 pack. Oops last one. Guess the aging starts with the next 4 pack. Sigh. A good Barley Wine though.

Back