Fermtech Wine Thief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2967-Thief1.jpg

I bought one of these because I'm doing a kit wine and gravity readings are very critical to the process.
This thing is so cool. The hydrometer goes into the wine thief and you can quickly check the gravity then pour the liquid back into the fermenter. You must of course sanatize the thief and the hydrometer.
I'm thinking this could work good for beer too. I never test my gravity unless I'm racking the beer. Now I'm thinking about testing it before I rack to be sure it's where I want it.

I got one of those just for my beers. It seemed a whole lot easier than a turkey baster. It works well and it was cheap.

I've got one too. It works well. I use it way more for wines than for beers.

Love mine, not sure what I did before I got one...don't keep the hydrometer in it while getting a sample...I did it a few times and ended up breaking the hydrometer and lost the lead shot in the primary...had to dump the batch...something about me being a scientist...the glass I could deal with but the potential for lead poisoning scared me.

Back