Wheat beer + unfermented blackberry wine =?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I tried doing a 1 gallon batch of blackberry wine. I must have used a bit too much potassium metobisulphite because the yeast never took off. It didn't ferment at all. Here's the recipe that I used. It ended up at 1.092

5 lbs blackberries
2 lbs sugar
1 quart water
.5 tsp acid blend
.5 tsp potassium metabisulphite
.5 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient

I also have a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer that's in the secondary. It was my first attempt at a cereal mash. The OG was a little lower than I had hoped it would be at 1.044 but it was still decent considering how much of the mash was unmalted wheat (40%). It fermented down to 1.000. As it sits it's pretty good. What could I expect from it if I dumped the blackberry wine juice into it, though? I'm guessing that what's left of the yeast would probably get active again and start going after the blackberry wine juice. If it doesn't get kicking within a couple of days I could dump some champagne yeast in or something. 1 gallon of liquid at 1.092 into 5 gallons of liquid at 1.000 would give me what OG? I think it would be 1.021 but I'm not sure....

Well, if the must is so stunned from the .5 teaspoon of k-meta that it wouldn't ferment, you may have an uncarbonated sweet blackberry beer if it never does take off.

I'm certain that .5 teaspoon of k-meta in a 1 gallon batch is a misprint. You use 1/4 teaspoon or so in the must of a 5 gallon batch. It does disipate with time, so you may get it to start up again. I'd try doing it separately before I possibly ruined my beer, though.

If you stir, stir, stir, the blackberry must several times a day, you might get much of the sulfite out and then you can pitch some fresh yeast on it.

I added the k-meta after crushing my berries then stirred a couple of times per day for a week. Then I pitched my yeast. I probably just used way too much. We'll see how it reacts with 5 gallons of beer. I always use a teaspoon in my 5 gallon batches.

I added the k-meta after crushing my berries then stirred a couple of times per day for a week. Then I pitched my yeast. I probably just used way too much. We'll see how it reacts with 5 gallons of beer. I always use a teaspoon in my 5 gallon batches.

A teaspoon of k-meta? Are you sure? That is a boat load and about 4x more than anybody I know would recommend!

I also have a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer that's in the secondary. It was my first attempt at a cereal mash. The OG was a little lower than I had hoped it would be at 1.044 but it was still decent considering how much of the mash was unmalted wheat (40%). It fermented down to 1.000. As it sits it's pretty good.

I've never had a beer ferment out like that - I didn't even know it was possible. Sorry to doubt you, but are you sure that it really is down at 1.000?

Yes. I used the dregs from a Saison de Buff for the yeast. I was really surprised, too. I checked three samples and used two different hydrometers. I combined the two batches and it's fermenting away again so I guess I'll see where it ends up.

Yes. I used the dregs from a Saison de Buff for the yeast. I was really surprised, too. I checked three samples and used two different hydrometers. I combined the two batches and it's fermenting away again so I guess I'll see where it ends up.

Still...and I know I am perseverating on something tangential to the actual post...but...1.000 is real low...lower than most lambics, no? This is closer to cider/wine territory. Is it possible it has a wild yeast or other infection? Is it sour at all?

It's been about two weeks since I added the blackberry must. It's back down to .994. Now it has a really strong, pungent smell that doesn't smell normal. It could be the k-meta but I'm not sure. It's sour now and just a hint of sweetness. You can almost taste the blackberries. I think I'm going to have to let this one sit for a while. It tastes like wine more than anything.

adnurl.jpg

Back