Yet another bottles not carbing thread...belgian quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoder

Reaction score
I brewed / bottled my belgian quad (1.092 OG 1.010 FG) back in April/May. I mashed this really low (accidentally), so very dry/alcoholic! I used WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast. I am surprised that that yeast attenuated so far down! Bottled with 6.8 oz DME for priming (6 gallon batch) aiming for 2.5 volumes of CO2. anyway, 8 weeks later and I just have a slight tongue tingle of carbonation. I've read all the threads about slow carbing/not carbing and am okay to wait longer on this, but it seems that WLP500 is already off the charts for attenuation (88% apparent attenuation in my beer vs. the 75-80% listed by White Labs).

so...should I wait it out a few more months...or do something drastic. If I act now, I'm leaning toward popping the caps and putting a few flakes of dry champagne yeast into each bottle and recapping. thoughts?

If I do this, should I a) chill down the bottles first? b) hydrate the dry yeast? c) have my head examined? d) all of the above e) none of the above

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

i would say leave the bottles alone in a warm place and forget about them. high grav / high alcohol beers take longer to carbonate than normal beer. the reason is the fact that by the time the yeast chew up all that sugar and produce 10.74% alcohol they are in very bad shape. WLP500 has a high alcohol tolerance so it may still be good just in bad shape.

Step away from your beer. It is way to early to drink it anyways. Give it a few more months...yes months. It will be carbed fine by then and you will be rewarded with a better tasting beer.

GT

so...popped another bottle over the weekend...very slight pssst when I opened the cap. no visible carbonation/head when I poured (and I did a fairly aggressive pour). There is a slight carbonation mouthfeel (perhaps a little more than the last bottle I tried a month or so ago, but not much more), but no visible bubbles in the glass.

so...it has been almost 5 months in the bottle...should I start to think about drastic measures? I was really hoping to gift a few of these bottles for the holidays, but at this rate I don't know if it will ever be carbed (and I wouldn't give it to anyone as-is).

BTW, it tasted really good albeit a little flat....the "green" taste seem to have passed, and depth of flavors are establishing. ...now if I could just make it a little more bubbly...

UPDATE: so after another month with little or no improvement I added lalvin champagne yeast to each bottle. I rehydrated in warm water and added ~4-5 drops to each 12 oz bottle and about 10 drops to each 750ml bottle.

I'll let you know in a month or two how this turns out.

I noticed something funny when re-capping. about 6 of my 12 oz bottles and 4 22oz bottles had little or no carbonation (the rest has a little more). after recapping them those bottles had caps that would twist. I've never had this problem before (though I don't know that I've ever tried to twist the caps). I have no idea what to attribute this to...I popped those bottles a second time and recapped with a different batch of caps, but same result. I tried as best as I could press down and see if i could seal, but didn't completely solve the problem. I use a wing capper, btw. ideas?

looks like your caps coulda leaked. if your capper worked perfect on some then you may have got some bad cap(lazy quality control). if thats the case youre guna need to add a bit o sugar to carb the champagne yeastwont have nutin to eat

Latest posts

Back