Simple Blackberry Flower Honey Mead with Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
Here's what I put together tonight:

12 lbs. Blackberry Flower Honey
Yeast Nutrient
Nottingham Yeast
5.5 Gallon Batch so I guess about 4.5 gallons of water added

I know Nottingham can go pretty high, but not so high that it won't leave a little sweetness behind after it craps out on this amount of honey.

Anyone every do one like this with Notty? Know what I should be expectin'?

No, no gravity reading. You think Notty will use up all that honey and take it to being dry? I am planning to see if I can carb this up too, think that will work out?

Notty is an amazing little beast.

I did one at 9#/5 gallons and it dried it out COMPELETELY. I don't know how it would take to 12# in 5.5 gallons, but I know at just under that - it was a beast of a yeast.

maybe it's just me(and SS, I guess :) ), but 2.2 pounds per gallon seems a little thin.

Well so would the lower amount of honey in the recipe coupled with the ale yeast used result in a hydromel then? I can always get another 3 lbs. of the stuff to make up to 15# for the batch but I don't think Notty would take that kind of pounding, no matter what is said about it, and I don't want it too heavy and cloyingly sweet. I believe the total dryness with 9 lbs., but there will have to be some light body and sweetness left at the end of this recipe as it stands today.

I think notty would do better with 'feeding' more honey later, if needed, than pounding it with 1.100 or higher OG.

i've done many meads with S-33 from Fermentis, and it'll hit 13% before it tanks.

Well I have had this together and pumping since I posted the recipe on here. It is bubbling away steadily so I know fermentation is going. I am keeping it a bit warm to get the yeast to add something special to the mead/hydromel. I will update this post with my findings on the sweetness and any flavor/body notes when this finishes.

Back