Fuller's ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
Just got back from the Liquor store with some Fuller's ESB. It's my 1st time trying the style, so I'm super excited (currently chilling). Unfortunately I grabbed the last 6-pack and the bottle says best before March 15, 2009. It was stored at room temperature in the liquor store.

Since I haven't tried an English Pale Ale before, I'm not sure how it's supposed to taste (other than what I read in the BJCP guidelines). How off do you think it will be?

I know this is not an easy question, and I'll report back in about an hour as to whether I notice any off flavors.

Thanks.

I like the style quite a bit. I think they are a bit more bitter, maltier body, without as much hop aroma.

Lakefront Brewery (Milwaukee) makes an Organic ESB which is real good. You should be able to find that in your metro area. (Appleton if not Neenah...)

Yep. That's pretty much it. Medium bodied, malty, with a pretty good bitterness (hits me at the end). Low to no hops aroma. My pallet isn't that well trained yet, so I don't really know if the age played a part in it. Right now, my tastes are more towards the malty side of beers (brown, wheat, etc.), but I think I will really grow to like pale ales.

I'll have to try the Lakefront beer. I know they sell the brand in my area.

Thanks.

The beer is probably okay, but not at its best.

I think if you pick a European beer that is sold in bottles and cans (Hobgoblin is one) and pick up both you will find that the canned version is always better. The bottles don't hold up well through transportation, let alone poor storage at a store.

I've liked every bottle of Fuller's ESB I have had stateside, so I think you will enjoy it, but the Fuller's ESB I have had in England was better.

I've liked every bottle of Fuller's ESB I have had stateside, so I think you will enjoy it, but the Fuller's ESB I have had in England was better.

I've heard that other places too. I think I'll be brewing an ESB for my next batch, and I've heard that the homebrews tend to be better than their commercial counterparts (probably due to the transport). I'm pretty excited to get that one going.

Back