Single Tier RIMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
Since I moved from extract about a year and a half ago I have been brewing on a 2 vessel stand that I made out of 1" stock. It worked great for the time being. A friend of mine is just getting into AG brewing and I offered to help him build a stand, after designing it I figured why not make one for myself as well. Like many on here I enjoy building stuff as much as I enjoy using it and brewing with it.

I already had the RIMS tube along with my control panel that I made as well so it was just a matter of swapping everything over once the stand was built. With 2 kids and the wife prego again I was only able to work on this thing a few hours here and there. This is it after about 2 weeks.

brew001.jpg
[/IMG]
My mash tun will sit in the middle and is just the standard 10 gal cooler.
brew003.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the pump mount.

brew002.jpg
[/IMG]
A shot of the rotating arm. The square stock looks like the ends are open but I welded caps on all ends of the stand.

brew005.jpg
[/IMG]
brew006.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is the control panel.

brew008.jpg
[/IMG]
brew007.jpg
[/IMG]

My burners.

I just need to get my RIMS tube mounts installed and then I get to paint it and it will be complete for the time being. I picked up a new RIMS tube as well that is a solid tube. The old threaded tube will be going to a friend of mine.

I might be wrong on this but does your box power supply take a male end? Using double male ended cords is a huge safety concern.

Yes it does, I plug my power cord into my control box before I plug it into my wall.

Ok, well you may want to either find a way to permanently attach it or switch it out for a regular one if you can.
That has a huge opportunity to fall out and arc on your metal frame.
I only bring this up because someone did something similar where I work and that actually happened. They got fired but it could have been much worse.

Yeah, I have been meaning to make a box that attaches to the existing "Power" plug mount that would make the plug unable to be accidently pulled out or fall out. I'll get it done before I brew, hopefully this Sat.

Here is a picture of my new RIMS tube I picked up on Sunday.

brew002-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I was also able to get a few coats of clear on my wood inlay that will be underneath the mash tun.
brew001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Since my old system was a 2 vessel, my BK also dubbed as my HLT, so I got some new goodies for my new HLT as well. Bargain fittings has to be the quickest shipping around, these guys rock.
brew003-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I also added another port for my pump. Single inlet for ease of priming. From bottom to top it will go: Inlet, my dump valve to help with purging the lines, the RIMS re-circulation outlet, and up top will be for my boil kettle. This way when I'm done with my mash I can just turn the valve off and open the top one to go into BK. This will also only make me have to switch out 1 hose during brewing. from mash tun to HLT for sparging.
brew004-1.jpg
[/IMG]
Does anybody else have there pump set up this way? I'm hoping its not to much for the pump. I have seen some more elaborate inlet/outlet's on one pump so I'm thinking I will be fine.

OT - true hard-tail with an EVO in the background?

1200 sporty engine. cut the bike in half and welded the hardtail on. New tank, bars, oil tank, pipes, chain conversion, tires, seat, tail light, etc... (Long list). The bars, pipes and all mounting brackets were all made by hand (and homebrew) I spent many nights in the garage on that one.

Where did u get the RIMS heat exchanger?

I got it from another HBT member who lives local to me, mikelikesit2000. I was going to have a friend build me one but it would have taken longer than I wanted.

Well I finished my stand enough to brew on it twice now. I got use to everything the second time around and def like not having to switch out hoses, lift kettles and manually pour hot liquid or wort. Here are a few photo's of the finished (for now) stand in the middle of a brew session.

I brewed a coconut brown that I toasted a pound and a half of coconut, added 1/2 lb to the mash and the remaining lb with 15 min left.

brew001-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is my RIMS tube mounted, I used U-bolts that attach to tabs that I welded on. I have it mounted at a slight angle to aid in draining. The back side of the tabs is also were the ground is threaded onto the U-bolts.

brew002-2.jpg
[/IMG]

A shot while mashing

brew005-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Temps holding steady

brew010-1.jpg
[/IMG]

The coconut was finely shredded so I used a hop bag I had.

brew009-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Had to take a cider break before I collected my first runnings.

brew008-1.jpg
[/IMG]

First runnings.

brew011.jpg
[/IMG]

Camera went dead after that but here is a shot of my fermentor chamber. I used a old fridge I had and cut holes in the bottom and added some black PVC pipe for the air chamber

brew012.jpg
[/IMG]
brew013.jpg
[/IMG]

One fan blows the cold air down while the other pulls the warmer air up out of the chamber.
brew014.jpg
[/IMG]

And here is the coconut brown still fermenting hard.

brew015.jpg
[/IMG]

I really dig the new stand. The next upgrade is to eventually swap out all the brass for Stainless. I already priced it out and its around $100. That will included all my pump fittings and the brass valves on the MLT. It would clearly only be for bling factor since it functions fine for now.
brew016.jpg
[/IMG]

I really like your set up. Your rims tube looks very clean. You have any details on it and or would your friend be willing to make another?

North county beer is definitely where it's at. The Abby and I have a longstanding date every time I go visit my in-laws in Escondido

I really like your set up. Your rims tube looks very clean. You have any details on it and or would your friend be willing to make another?

North county beer is defiantly where it's at. The Abby and I have a longstanding date every time I go visit my in-laws in Escondido

Thanks man. The tube is 15" long with 1/2" ports for the inlet and outlet, with the standard 1" in the back for the element. I got the tube from mikelikesit2000. He's a member on here. Look him up and i'm sure he would be willing to make you one, great guy to work with and builds the tube to your exact needs. Next time your in town PM me and we can get a beer.

Back